cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dropbox app can't sync one file

The Dropbox app can't sync one file

Gogabz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox has recently reported a 'sync issue' - "Couldn't upload. Give Dropbox permission to access this file".

The file is 'Lenovo Migration Assistant.lnk' and it's been on my hard drive for months without generating an error, in a folder with other files that are being uploaded ok. 

The "How to fix" link doesn't list this actual error message but I have tried some of the suggestions for the errors quoting 'upload' problems, but the commands given fail.

I have a Lenovo ideapad 330S running Windows 10 Home, Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Gogabz, I'd be happy to help look into this with you. 

Could you try, as a first step, the following in the exact order listed, and see if they do the trick?

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  • Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  • Select Preferences...
  • Navigate to the Account tab.
  • Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  • Hold down the Alt+H keys.
  • Click on the Fix Hardlinks button.
  • You may be asked for your computer's login credentials, in which case, please enter them.
  • Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If you're still having trouble, repeat the same steps, but on the seventh one, click on the Fix Permissions button, instead. 

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Gogabz, I'd be happy to help look into this with you. 

Could you try, as a first step, the following in the exact order listed, and see if they do the trick?

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  • Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  • Select Preferences...
  • Navigate to the Account tab.
  • Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  • Hold down the Alt+H keys.
  • Click on the Fix Hardlinks button.
  • You may be asked for your computer's login credentials, in which case, please enter them.
  • Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing.

If you're still having trouble, repeat the same steps, but on the seventh one, click on the Fix Permissions button, instead. 

Let me know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Gogabz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

That worked - many thanks.

I tried the Fix Hardlinks option - no login credentials required - then restarted. The error was still there.

Did the same using the Fix Permissions option. Again the error was still there.

I went into File Explorer to look at the file permissions (not that I know much about them) & while I was doing that I noticed the error on the Dropbox icon had disappeared. Presumably I just hadn't waited long enough for syncing to complete but unfortunately that means I can't say which option worked.

But anyway, many thanks again.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for keeping me in the loop, and glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern, @Gogabz

If anything else comes up in the future, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

skero
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @skero, thanks for checking in with us. 

I moved you here, where another user had a similar issue. 

Could you follow the steps I mention above, and let me know if they do the trick for you?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Tyrrell
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For those doing this on a Mac, it seems that you hold down option (⌥) instead of "Alt+H" while following Lusil's instructions.

andrew w.55
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Lusil I have the same problem. I have followed your advice and run the fix links (and permissions also) but I still have the same three files with the blue circle indicating there's activity but no end its just stuck. The specific error message is "couldn't upload give dropbox permission to access this file"...I have not changed a thing in years.

Also its killing my cpu. What can I try next and why is it doing it?

I'm windows 10, firefox.

Thanks

Andy

DZuber
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am also having this problem, and it started last week. When I first saw the notification, I clicked "view now" and renamed the two files that were listed there. 

ScreenHunter 749.jpg

There aren't any files listed there anymore, but I continue to get the notification.

I've tried @lusil's fix several times, both using the "fix hardlinks" button and the "fix permissions" button, but nothing changes. 

BTW, when I click the "fix permissions" button, it opens a C prompt window, but nothing happens in that window. 

Is there a way to find the offending files on Dropbox.com and fix them? 

Please help!

andrew w.55
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

DZuber.... exactly the same "I've tried @lusil's fix several times, both using the "fix hardlinks" button and the "fix permissions" button, but nothing changes when I click the "fix permissions" button, it opens a C prompt window, but nothing happens in that window."

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

andrew w.55 New member | Level 2
    DZuber New member | Level 2
    Tyrrell Helpful | Level 5
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?