cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to monitor dropbox folder

Unable to monitor dropbox folder

albrechtmyers
New member | Level 2

I'm using Dropbox on an Arch Linux System. Everything worked fine for months now, until today. When running Dropbox from command line, it prints the error message:

Unable to monitor entire Dropbox folder hierarchy. Please run "echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p" and restart Dropbox to fix the problem.

I don't like running terminal commands blindly without thinking about it, especially when running as sudo. So I'd really like to understand why Dropbox needs that fix, especially after running fine for months.

1 Reply 1

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @albrechtmyers - welcome to our Community!

If you are getting the error "Unable to monitor filesystem" then you have hit the default limit for Linux of 10000 folders. This limit can be changed by running the following command in a terminal:

sudo sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000

To make this limit permanent you can edit the file /etc/sysctl.conf and add the same command, but without the "sudo sysctl".

You can see more information about this in the relevant Help Center article:

I hope this helps clear things up a tad for you and I'm always a post away if you have any more questions.  

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?