cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox APP missing

Dropbox APP missing

ConstructoraBCN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The main reason why the construction company that I represent, had decided to start using Dropbox instead of a server are 2

1) Everything is in the iCloud no need to have computers with a lot of memory capacity

2) Everything was really easy to manage with the Dropbox App with the PC and Handy, especially in terms of internal communication, being able to leave a message and comments or instructions on each document or folder, and all the documents no matter which format was easy to visualize, you had a preview of any document... so when you get in a folder you see the documents, not just the name and format (like now).

The main reason why the construction company that I represent, had decided to start searching for a substitution of Dropbox

No Dropbox APP = We are searching for a new solution.     WE USE TO OPERATE ALWAYS DIRECTLY THROUGH THE APP

Dropbox's website is not easy to manage as was with the app...

Dropbox's website; you can see a preview of each document, has issues to open lots of formats, etc...

Dropbox's website; not comfortable to interact with a team big as our

Dropbox's Desk; in order to see the previews I do have to synchronize all so... use the memory capacity of my computer.. so If you have a 2 T of information, you better get a PC with this capacity... Why use a Cloud if at the end you need to use your computer memory capacity? Can someone explain me????

Dropbox Desk; no way to internally communicate with a team, no way to leave a message or tag anyone in a comment...

Resume:

Dropbox instead of going forward... is going backward... The App was a great and easy solution for big corporations... 

My team and I are absolutely disappointed that you have deleted the App, and we HATE and find useless the Desk solution.

I hope you fix the App soon, otherways you are definitely losing us as clients...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all, thanks for posting here!

Your feedback regarding our Dropbox desktop application has been very valuable, and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard. 

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product.

Keep in mind that no features were removed and you can still use your Finder or File Explorer without an issue. 

If you have any questions, or you're not sure how to achieve something on your app, this is why we are here to jump in and help.

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

55 Replies 55

mercy_gt
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

AGREE! Especially when we're still all working from home - I work in a large comms/marketing/media team who used the app to comment on files and photos all the time. The search function of the app has been indispensable over the last few years. 

Now I have to retrain my team on how to access files with LESS features on their program files/desktop. We work in healthcare - we don't have time to re train, we are very busy supporting our frontline workers!

We started using dropbox at the beginning of the pandemic because it was going to be a better solution than remote server access to keep our team agile and ready to respond in the midst of this crisis but now we need to seriously consider our options. The App was perfect, why did you take it away?

aresende1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Agree all around. Please bring the dropbox app back!

tdeboer
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just talked to Dropbox rep and they let me know that the app is not coming back for AT LEAST A YEAR!!!!!!😖😭☹️. I LOVED the desktop app. Our organization had organized our corporate life in that thing. Very disappointed. 

ishabioamp
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes! Dropbox please bring the app back. I relied heavily on the Folder Overview sections to really describe and detail what each folder contained. Our entire documentation system relies on easy access to the folder overview via the desktop app. I also found the app so user friendly, aesthetically pleasing, and easier to toggle and navigate compared to my Finder. Dropbox loses its value without the desktop app. 

thecandidate
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

100% agree!

The dropbox desktop app had such a great user interface and was a good workflow for our team.. unfortunately as of 17 Jan 2022, it has been dropped? I wonder why this change was made, and i'm just hoping the application is being improved instead of being killed.

What we enjoyed out of the desktop app was the ability to pin specific files to the main dropbox for quick access, which everyone was able to identify quickly. with the Finder app, it was hard to see pinned items, and with the website, its a redundant process – requiring lots of extra steps – having to open up the website to identify the folder before pinning them. the website does not give as much visual cues as the desktop app previously had. 

Please, dropbox, #bringitback! 

ConstructoraBCN
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Spoiler
Thank you so much to everyone that is giving support to my comment.

I really hope that someone in charge sees it, brings back the APP, and keeps investing in it ... in a changing world, in a middle of a crisis because of the pandemic, in a moment where the digitalization of each company is the only way to keep our heads up, to give support to our clients, no matter where (home office), to keep the teams united, once again no matter where they are located (home office), and in a moment where everyone is in a hurry because we do not know what will happen next, so speed up, and productivity comes first...  How Dropbox has decided to limit features??? 

It is really really disappointing to lose features, to lose easy access to the folder overview (this is something that I really won't handle long, it freaks me out), without the APP our productivity and internal communication (My team and I used daily the comments @.. for internal communication, it was really great and user friendly! through the website is a mess! and through the Desktop solution... it is simply unavailable!!!)  have been negatively affected... Especially in the middle of a pandemic when most of the companies are a bit decentralized because lots of employers work from home... You need quick and easy interfaces, user-friendly, to avoid mistakes, etc...  And once again... How disappointing can be to have a cloud solution that the only way to operate is synchronizing local all? Hello! Do we need to buy all new computers with bigger memory capacity because we do need to keep what is in the cloud as well in the Computers? 

I repeat myself, instead of going forward Dropbox in the middle of a pandemic is going backward and affecting negatively to its clients, and for the same price... How disappointing!!!

Example:

• Should we move all to GoogleDrive? I use to like better Dropbox... but not anymore..
  • There are companies that operate 100% with a cloud, such as HOLDED (ERP-CRM Solution) that have no app but have a really easy website interface, and that keeps all simply online without the need of using computers internal memory.. (Dropbox app is no user friendly at all..)

I personally think that Dropbox should bring the App back asap (before we all freaks out) and keep investing in easy solutions for internal communications because the future of lots of companies is operating decentralized.

Info: I have talked to the support of Dropbox by telephone, and they have told me that they canceled the app because lots of people have got stressed with 3 interfaces (Website/App/Desktop). My answer to all of them is: Nobody force anyone to use the 3 solutions... do not install the app if you don't like it, simple as that.  

TilmanM
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

totally agree. I'm "just" a private user of dropbox, but I used the app every day for my workflow. if I have to use Apple's finder I can just as well use iCloud...

Sambosam
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My Dropbox regularly switches itself from opening within the app and then the finder. I then have to change the settings within preferences to "open with desktop app" but now that option is no longer visible. Any ideas? 

Sambosam_0-1642602777979.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Sambosam, thanks for posting your query to our Community.

To give you some info on this, as of January 17, 2022, the Dropbox desktop app only supports Finder and the menu bar, and the desktop app window is no longer available.

You should have received an email about this at some point, but not to worry! Your content is still safe with us.

You can still save, view, share, and access all your files with the Dropbox folder in macOS Finder, the menu bar, on our website, and from the latest iOS and Android apps.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

UVDL New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    mftuchman65 Explorer | Level 4
    KimFelton Helpful | Level 6
    Phil37 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?