Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Unable to open Zip Files over 150mb downloaded from Dropbox

New member | Level 2

I am trying to download the entire photo folder.  It is larger than 20GB.  How can I achieve this?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Welcome to the zip files thread and our Community @polidoc

You can download the folder directly from Dropbox.com. It will download as a zip. Then you will need a third party to convert it back to a normal folder. 

Alternatively, you can download the Dropbox desktop application and have it sync just this folder for you on your computer. If let's say you don't want to have any other folder from Dropbox in this device.(Steps to selectively sync this folder). 

Get back to this thread to let us know how you did this. 

If you face any difficulties, get screenshots to show me what went wrong and I'd be happy to help! nerd face

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Still no go.  I am getting this error message.  I want to download my entire photo album of about 30K pictures.  Please see attached at the bottom.  I can't  download the desktop app.Capture.PNG

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @polidoc

Can you try in an incognito/ private browsing window and let me know if it works?

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Not allowed on this computer.  Any other option?

Helpful | Level 6

I no longer have the problem. I dropped my Dropbox account! This forum was a waste of time. Sorry.

Helpful | Level 6

Not meaning to be rude here @Fiona but you have obviously missed the whole thread here and that advice is just plain wrong. You will see that there are many, many issues that prevent this from happening. If you work at Dropbox, shame on you. If you don't and you mean well, best remove that advice as it is exactly the reason we are on this thread in the first place as that advice is not even vaguely a solution. 

Helpful | Level 6

You actually will not be able to get these files off dropbox at this time. No one has an answer to this problem if you read the full thread. There are limitations to the number of files within a folder to download at once and that prevents many of us with large files from being able to do so. 

The best bet is to buy a GIANT hard drive and sync the files over 6 months and at the end of the 6 months to delete the Dropbox account and never use it again. 

Dropbox refuses to change this setting and functionality as it forces people to stay with them indefinitely. Poor show I say. 

This also doesn't allow us to back up the Dropbox system even if we wanted to keep it, and we can't sync files to a desktop above certain sizes either. 

There is no solution. @Fiona gave poor advice here unfortunately. That's what we'd all LIKE to be able to do, but it can't be done. 

Helpful | Level 6

This must be changed to unresolved! Files over 10,000 are still a massive issue for a lot of us and the entire intention of this thread. It is misleading to say this is resolved. Shame on @druidbox for pretending it is. There is no new release - you could always download under 10,000 files. Tell us when you can download any number of files like any other system might. Really poor show here. 

Dropboxer

Sorry you feel this way @ICS26631. Your desktop can indeed download all the files you have in Dropbox. The performance of the Dropbox desktop app can decline when the number of files is more than 300,000. It should still work though. 

I have a workaround for you to export all the files from Dropbox, no matter how big your account is. 

1. I undertand your device might not fit the files. You can use an external hard drive to store all the files you will export from Dropbox there. How to move Dropbox to the external. 
  2. Use selective sync to download half your folders to the local Dropbox folder. 
  3. Drag the folders you have fully synced, out of the Dropbox folder and to another location in the external. This will delete them from Dropbox and drop the amount of files for a better performance. 
  4. Give it some time to sync the deletion. Arrows Counter Clock
  5. Select the rest in your selective sync settings and repeat the process after the folders sync to your external. 

I hope this is helpful. 

Fiona

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Downloading a folder doesn't work
122 Replies
70 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey