cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloads disabled feature not working

Downloads disabled feature not working

sashafree
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have my downloads disabled for a shared link. Whenever I test the link being shared to another email, the download option is still there and able to be used. I pay to use this feature on dropbox, and for it to not be working is ridiculous. Anyone have any idea why or how to fix this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kristen_Support Engineer
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We pushed out a patch to address the unexpected behavior and were able to verify this fix ourselves just now.

Please do reach out to our Support Team with details if the issue seems to persist for you and we're happy to take a look!

Thanks,

Kristen

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Are you logged in to your account while testing this? i.e. its on your computer you click on it? If so the software knows its you and that you are allowed to view it. 

Try testing the link in an incognito window and see what happens then. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

sashafree
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yeah I've tried viewing it with another email and the download button is still there and able to be clicked and used even with the settings on the video having them disabled.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@sashafree wrote:

... I've tried viewing it with another email and ...

@sashafree, the email doesn't matter! What about incognito browser window that Mark mentioned about? 🤔 Did you try?

sashafree
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes I tried that as well

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @sashafree, let's jump right into this! 

Just to confirm, are these the steps you follow on your end, to disable the downloads on your shared link? 

Can you create a test shared link, and apply the same settings there, just to check if the same behavior applies there?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

This is J
Explorer | Level 3
@megan I am another one who followed all directions to disable downloads to no avail. I've logged in under a 2nd acct on a different computer, and it still gave me the ability to download the files. I agree with the other on the post who said, we pay to have these security options and it sucks that they don't work.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @This is J, the option to disable downloads is only for shared links when you're not signed into any account. Are you certain that you're creating a link to the file?

If you share a folder or file directly, then this is a different process since the files can be synced to your machine.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

This is J
Explorer | Level 3
Yes. I came to that realization after running a few tests on my own. It would be great to be also limit downloads for the specific people you share a file or folder with so you know exactly capable viewing the content shared. The link may prevent downloads but anyone can still view the content who receives the link. We should be able to control who views and downloads our content. I'm downgrading my plan now because that is what I thought I was receiving by upgrading...Full control of who and how one can access my content.

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for reporting this. We are aware that some users experiencing in issue in which downloads are disabled via the link settings, but this setting isn't persisting. Our Engineering team is currently investigating. I'll provide an update here when I have more information to share.

Thanks,

Ben

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kristen_Support Engineer Dropbox Staff
    BenDBX Community Manager
    This is J Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?