cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop app crashes in Windows 10 64-bit

Desktop app crashes in Windows 10 64-bit

demonhawk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My dropbox crashes everytime i click to add my private account into my dropbox. Unistall/reinstall did not solve the problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

demonhawk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well, i don't know what u guys did, but it now works! i don't know why or what did the trick, because i did not change anything (?) but that's fine for me now 🙂

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @demonhawk

Thanks for reaching out on the Dropbox Community! 

This seems unexpected, though I'm here to work on a fix with you. As a first step, I'd recommend unlinking your account to the website, rebooting and relinking. 

If this persists, could you temporarily disable your antivirus, firewall or other security program and re-download the latest stable version of the application from the website? Also, you may try to update to the latest version using the offline installer here (Windows), which will probably have this resolved. 

Again, if none of the above steps help you install the application, please let me know here, so that I further look into that with you.

Will be awaiting your reply!

Kind regards,
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

demonhawk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

unfortunately none of this tips did help. Everytime i want to connect the both boxes the app crashes... no matter what first (work then personal or vice versa). is there anything else i can do?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @demonhawk

Thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated! 

Hmmm... As a first step, we'd have to make sure that the software is working correctly, since it seems that both accounts aren't syncing correctly. I’d like you to do a complete reinstall to try to fix the problem. This will not affect or remove the files in your Dropbox folder. Please follow the steps below: 

#1. Quit Dropbox by clicking on the Dropbox icon on your system tray, then click on the gear icon and select "Quit Dropbox".

#2. Uninstall Dropbox:

#3. When the uninstall finishes, please restart your computer to ensure that the uninstall is complete.

#4. After this, please proceed to delete remaining registry entries:

a) Click the Start button. Type REGEDIT in the search box and press Enter.

b) In the Registry Editor, navigate into the following locations until you find the keys for "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate", they will be in either or both of the following two locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

c) In both or either of these folders, please delete only the "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate" folders by right-clicking on the individual folders and selecting "Delete".

#5. Then, please delete the Dropbox remaining folders:

a) Open a Windows File Explorer (not Internet Explorer). 

b) Type %LOCALAPPDATA% into the address bar (include the % percent signs) and press enter. 

c) Delete the folder "Dropbox" from the resulting window. 

d) Please repeat these steps with the following folders as well (it's OK if you don't find a Dropbox folder in any of those locations): 

%APPDATA% 
%PROGRAMFILES% 
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)% 
e) Then restart your system.

Please note that deleting any of these folders will not delete the files in your Dropbox folder.

#6. Download the newest version of Dropbox and double click on the downloaded file 

#7. During the initial setup and sign in process apply any Selective Sync settings you may have had prior to the reinstall and select the Dropbox folder location (if not in the default location).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because this process removes the previous settings and configuration, if you wish to avoid re-downloading your Dropbox content you will need to manually choose the location for Dropbox to sync to, otherwise you will create a new Dropbox folder and start to download your content again.

At the end of this process, after clicking "Open my Dropbox folder", it might take some time to re-index the files and sync any pending changes. Please note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder, the web interface or other linked devices while the folder was "off-line" may generate conflicted copies.

Please let me know how this works for you in your reply! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

demonhawk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

i followed every step exactly (though i didn't find any folders in the registry) but the problem still exists 😞 as soon as i want to connect my two dropboxes the app crashes. one alone works fine

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @demonhawk

Thanks for getting back in touch!

Hmmm... Because you mention that the application is crashing (even after a fresh re-installation), I'll need to check your device configuration and go through some more steps with you on our official support channel. If it's not too much trouble for you, please raise a ticket with our team sending in any details surrounding the case, such a screenshot of what you're seeing that would help us determine the cause, and let me know a ticket ID here once you have done so, so that I look it up on my end. 

Thanks in advance, will be awaiting your reply!

Warm regards, 
JaneA 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

demonhawk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Okay, the ticket is up

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @demonhawk

I appreciate your prompt reply!

Would you mind sharing a ticket ID in your reply, so that I make sure someone gets on it as soon as possible? 

Thanks for your ongoing cooperation on the matter, 

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

demonhawk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well, i don't know what u guys did, but it now works! i don't know why or what did the trick, because i did not change anything (?) but that's fine for me now 🙂

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @demonhawk

So glad to hear that this was resolved for you! :slight_smile: :grinning:

Please keep in mind that thelatest stable build was released on Friday, so this was probably fixed after the installation of the latest stable version on your desktop. 

If it's not too much trouble for you, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT .

Hope you have a great week ahead,  

JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    M_RB Explorer | Level 3
    csornmo Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?