cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting notifications about online-only files, with Google Drive/OneDrive active

Getting notifications about online-only files, with Google Drive/OneDrive active

Bill_Richards
Explorer | Level 4

I have a regular DropBox account that I've been using for many years.  This afternoon, it suddenly started giving my this very same notification every 30 seconds or so.  It doesn't tell me which files it's having trouble with - just, "These files are online-only."  When I click on the notification, it goes away, but it continues the incessant beeping.  How do I get this to stop?!

58 Replies 58

Jay
Dropbox Staff

HI @Bill_Richards, if you look in the Dropbox folder in Explorer, do you see any files or folders without the green syncing icon on them?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

themicah
Explorer | Level 4
I have the same issue as Bill. All my files are local (when I go to the online only section of the app it shows nothing online only) and everything in the dropbox folder has a green check. Logged onto my computer this morning (didn’t use it yesterday) and nonstop notifications that “these files are online only”. I tried restarting the Dropbox app, restarting my whole computer, etc. this is on windows 10.

Bill_Richards
Explorer | Level 4

No, they all have the green sync icon: 

Bill_Richards_0-1710858061457.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Bill_Richards! Out of curiosity, are you using any other cloud services/apps on your computer that could be interfering with Dropbox? 

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Bill_Richards
Explorer | Level 4

I use Google Drive as well, but I've been using that for years.  This problem just started suddenly for no apparent reason yesterday.

Bill_Richards
Explorer | Level 4

I did notice somthing that may or may not be related.  If I show hidden files, there are two folder that appear to be syncing endlessly:

Bill_Richards_0-1710882764112.png

Withint he cache folder, all the sub-folders are synced except one, with an odd gibberish name:

Bill_Richards_1-1710882808273.png

Within the other folder (.tmp.driveupload), there are 180 tiny files, all given 5-digit names, none of which is synced.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

That’s interesting. The files within .tmp.driveupload, do they also have the blue rotating icon next to them? 

The reason why I asked you about other cloud services before is because Dropbox doesn’t normally have a green syncing icon with an underlined checkmark, so I’m wondering if it’s Google Drive that's trying to sync those files.

If you check the syncing status of your Dropbox app, does it say up to date or syncing a specific number of files?

Finally, if you’re still receiving the notification, there should be a button with three dots right next to the X button. Can you please click on them and let me know what options you see?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Bill_Richards
Explorer | Level 4

The files within .tmp.driveupload, do they also have the blue rotating icon next to them? 

Yes

Dropbox doesn’t normally have a green syncing icon with an underlined checkmark,

> so I’m wondering if it’s Google Drive that's trying to sync those files.

Perhaps, but Google Drive isn't pinging every 30 seconds - it's Dropbox.  As soon as I kill Dropbox, the annoying pings cease.

> If you check the syncing status of your Dropbox app, does it say up to date

> or syncing a specific number of files?

Here's a screenshot:

Bill_Richards_1-1710890012367.jpeg

there should be a button with three dots right next to the X button.

> Can you please click on them and let me know what options you see?

Here is the notification, and below that is what I see when I click on the 3 dots.

Bill_Richards_2-1710890051935.png

Bill_Richards_3-1710890207886.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the screenshot! I‘d like you to ’click on the “Go to notification settings” option and disable the notifications for your desktop app. After that, please restart your computer and re-enable them. Does that make a difference?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

UptownPulp Explorer | Level 3
    Bill_Richards Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?