cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Office access to files and folders in Dropbox

Microsoft Office access to files and folders in Dropbox

Movin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I have seen a post regarding access rights given on files and folders when using Microsoft office online and would appreciate a clarification.

I have user with which I am sharing an excel file from my community dropbox, but they are reluctant to edit it as Microsoft Office pops up and says it needs to give them access to their files and folders in dropbox. They have a private dropbox which, of course, would not want to share with Microsoft.

Has this feature a workaround or this is a allow or do not use excel at all? 

If the latter, would it work to download the file make the changes and then upload it again? Would the new file replace the file on the web or add an additional file?

Many thanks for your help!

Movin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Movin, Microsoft has access to the files a user chooses.

And even if a file is personal, and user chooses to edit it with Microsoft, that won't allow you or any other Dropbox user to access it. It doesn't share the file with anyone else. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Movin, thanks for posting your question to our Community today.

Can you let me know at which point of the process, does this pop-up show up?

And are they trying to do this using the Excel app on their computer or when trying to edit the files through Excel for the web on our website?

Once I know more, I'll be able to better answer your query.

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Movin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi!

This appears just right after they click on the edit dropdown box "excel on the web". I guess they do not have have Microsoft office installed?

Not sure as I did not have that issue.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Movin, in order to use Excel on the web, since it uses the Office site to edit files via Dropbox, it's asking for permission to access the files on Dropbox. This would only be when you choose to edit files. 

If they don't want to do that, they could install the Dropbox desktop application, allow the files to sync to their computer, and then use their desktop version of Excel to edit files, and the saved changes to sync to the site.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Movin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

Many thanks for the feedback! I guess there is no other option. I understand the user is afraid that Microsoft may have access to all other files he/she has in the dropbox. Is this fear correct?

Many thanks,
Patricia

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Movin, Microsoft has access to the files a user chooses.

And even if a file is personal, and user chooses to edit it with Microsoft, that won't allow you or any other Dropbox user to access it. It doesn't share the file with anyone else. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Jess1996
New member | Level 2

When using Microsoft Office online with Dropbox requires access to files and folders for seamless collaboration. However, there's a workaround if your user doesn't want to share their private Dropbox. You can download the file, make the changes offline, and then upload it again. The new file will replace the previous one on the web. By the way, if you're looking for free activation tools, you should definitely check out kms-activators-free.com. They have some great options! Hope this helps!

KianMcneil
New member | Level 2

Integrating Microsoft Office with Dropbox can be super handy for collaboration.

LilianAcevedo
New member | Level 2

Hey, I totally get your curiosity about integrating Microsoft Office with Dropbox. It can be a game-changer for productivity! As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, this was somewhat doable but not seamlessly.However, things might have evolved since then. You could consider checking the latest updates on Microsoft's official website or even reaching out to their support for any new features.And if you're into enhancing your Microsoft skills, you might want to explore some Azure AI training – it's a great way to stay on top of the tech game. Who knows, you might discover even more possibilities for integrating your tools!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

LilianAcevedo New member | Level 2
    KianMcneil New member | Level 2
    Jess1996 New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Movin Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?