cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Adobe issues

PDF files open as read only on Acrobat Reader (on Android)

Pierre M.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I haven't had any problem editing PDF files on my Android tablet until now. I simply opened dropbox, and opened the PDF in Adobe Acrobat from dropbox.

Lately, when I open a PDF in Adobe Acrobat from dropbox, I get an error message telling me I can only open the file read-only. This applies to all my files.

When I open a PDF directly from Adobe Acrobat, I don't have this problem.

I suspect this is related to a recent update of either app.

40 Replies 40

Parsons-Joyce
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox have suggested the following it didnt help me but we have now switched over to Xodo - it be worth a try:

Our team is still working on this, in the meantime could you please try the following? 1) Clear the cache on your Dropbox app. To clear your cache, please follow the steps listed below: - Tap the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) in the upper-left corner of the screen - Tap the gear icon in the upper-right corner of the screen - Scroll to “Advanced features” - Select “Clear cache" 2) Uninstall the Dropbox App 3) Sign out from the Play store 4) Restart your device 5) Sign into the Play Store 6) Download and Install Dropbox 7) Try to sign into your Dropbox account

vb01
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That link says 

"Any changes made to Adobe files stored in your Dropbox account will sync automatically."

It also says: 

"The following are free features of the Adobe Acrobat app:

Open and view PDFs
Annotate and review PDFs
Fill and sign forms" 

This implies there would be nothing preventing one from saving and syncing pdf files from dropbox that have been annotated (highlighted) in acrobat. 

But that is the problem I am having, I am getting the same message as the OP when opening pdf files from dropbox in acrobat, and once I open and highlight, it doesn't save the highlights in dropbox, that is, it doesn't sync; but it is saved locally (that is, when the file is opened from Acrobat, it has highlights, but not when opened from dropbox). 

The reason I use dropbox is so the annotations will be synced to access from a desktop. It used to be simple to just open a pdf from dropbox in acrobat, make highlights, and it would save and sync automatically. This funcationality seems to be lacking now for some reason, and isn't explained by the link provided in response to the OP. Is there a way to get back to this simple ability to open, highlight, save and sync?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @vb01, what version of Adobe Acrobat are you using? 

Are you making the annotation edits on the mobile app? Did you export the files from the Dropbox app to Acrobat, or did you open it from Acrobat directly? Are you saving it back to Dropbox?

Keep me posted so I can assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

FernandezG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Think I am having the same problem.

We used to have some files which we shared with a group of people. They would open them through a link which would open them in their Dropbox App. From there, they would open in Adobe and edit, and the changes would be synced.

Now if they try that, they will get this message:

"The file will be opened as view only any changes made will not be saved. Do you wish to continue?"

Only way for them to edit these PDFs now is going directly through the Adobe App, which is not ideal in this case.

Any work around to this? So it can be as it was before?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @FernandezG, what kind of link is this?

If this is a shared link, then it is always a one-way, read-only link, and can’t be edited. Files can be downloaded using that link and then edited offline however.

Have you always used the same way to create links to files?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

FernandezG
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Jay,

It is shared as a link, but the users all have edit access to the folder. This used to work just fine for years already. 

Now it doesnt matter if they open it through the link or if they go directly through the Dropbox app, as soon as they try and open it in Adobe to make a simple annotation, it puts up that message.

I tried it with personal files as well and it does the same thing, so I ruled out the link being a problem. I can also open it in the computer and edit it and will sync. The problem comes when opening it in Adobe from a mobile device.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Even if they have edit access, a shared link will not redirect users to the original file in the old location, and so it’s still treated as a read-only file.

Since your issue sounds similar, I’ve moved you into the appropriate thread, and I’d recommend emailing our support team for more assistance on this matter.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Noe12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Did anyone manage to find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy. I can't see the use in having Dropbox if I can't sync the edits I do to my files.

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

My guess is that the latest "Reader" only reads and Adobe wants you to buy "Acrobat" to edit a PDF. (This is not the same as fill-in-the-blank PDF files.)

DrTDM1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi...

Whenever i open a pdf file from my dropbox using Moon+ reader or adobe reader,, it gives me a message that the file is being opened in read only mode, (( it actually makes a copy of the file locally,, and saves whatever you do ( highlight, edit, sign) saves all that locally))

there is a similar thread talking about this issue,, but there is no solution at all,, i had this problem since about 7 months,, and i managed to found a solution by installing an older version of the dropbbox app on my tablet, and everything was working well until dropbox decided to stop support of the older version and forced me to update to the latest version of the dropbox app,,, and now i'm back to the same problem...

-hence- the problem is not related to adobe or the moon+ reader app,, and it is from the dropbox app side..

all i want to do is open the pdf file in my dropbox folder from my tablet using moon+ or adobe reader,, and go back to my pc and find my edits there...

Need more support?