cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam mail from Dropbox

Spam mail from Dropbox

Rimpulo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi.

What's going on with your e-mailers or whoever there is spamming my mail every week. Headers: "Alert alert", "Open ASAP", "Review ASAP", "Attention!", "This is urgent".

Please stop. You sound like some clickbait tabloid magazine trash. I don't mind if my dropbox is full, it's okay, and I will not upgrade my account. Get some journal and public relations education for your workers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rimpulo wrote:

What's going on with your e-mailers or whoever there is spamming my mail every week. ... I don't mind if my dropbox is full ...

Have you turned off the notification in your account?

59c1c9391a7b4d2762a0addab9427cf5.png

 

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Rimpulo, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you certain these are emails from official Dropbox domains?

Could you attach a screenshot with an example email you're getting, while hiding any personal info?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rimpulo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi,

Thanks for reply. It seems you can not attach a screenshot here. Well here's one I uploaded on ImgBB: https://ibb.co/S6nphRh .
Sender is no-reply@dropbox.com.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rimpulo wrote:

What's going on with your e-mailers or whoever there is spamming my mail every week. ... I don't mind if my dropbox is full ...

Have you turned off the notification in your account?

59c1c9391a7b4d2762a0addab9427cf5.png

 

ilovemath
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I would like to add that this morning I received a completely legitimate-looking spam email.  The only way I was able to identify it was via two red flags: 1) it said I needed to complete my dropbox setup (with ATTN in the subject line) but I have had a Dropbox account for years and 2) the no-reply email address was "no-reply@em-s.dropbox.com" which is very similar to but *not* Dropbox's usual no-reply email address.  I figured I would post my phishing problem here in case anyone else is having these spam emails and needs a sanity check.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @ilovemath! Thanks for posting on the forum. 

“@em-s.dropbox.com" is actually an official Dropbox domain (you can also click on this Help Center article to see more info).

Is this the first email of this sort that you’ve received? Is the email address that it was sent to the same as the one you see here?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

ilovemath
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Nancy, yes this is the first time I have received an email from this address, at least according to my inbox.  I'm not sure why I would have received a message telling me to finish completing my Dropbox setup; I've had this Dropbox for 10 years, what else is there to set up?  The weirdness of the ATTN caught my attention (ironic eh), as this is not something I would expect in a usual email, and the discrepancy of the no-reply addresses threw me.  Sorry that I mislabeled this genuine email as spam.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, @ilovemath, you can simply ignore the email, but it's good that you brought this to our attention; better safe than sorry!

If you need anything else, please let us know.

Have a great day!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Rimpulo
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
That's just what I was talking about. Spam looking appearance and spelling, i.e. "ATTN". It's not about turning off notifications, it's about communicating proper businesslike language.

Forum_Account23
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agreed, I work in cyber security and one of our users sent in one of these emails for analysis. I could quickly verify that the domain was legit but the wording is so dodgy I had to investigate further, leading me to this forum. In the last two weeks we've had about 10 examples of the same email being sent multiple times with 2 different wordings. We teach our staff how to spot red flags like call-to-action, over-alerting, changing the wording between emails. Dropbox will be hurting their own sales this way, and annoying cyber security professionals.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rimpulo Helpful | Level 5
    hlpis New member | Level 2
    Forum_Account23 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?