cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why is Dropbox asking me to upgrade my account?

Why is Dropbox asking me to upgrade my account?

seahawk
New member | Level 2

In the last week, I received three marketing emails from dropbox aimed at getting me to upgrade my account thinly veiled as alternately alarmist alerts and courtesy reminders about my account reaching storage capacity. I still have 500 GB of space in my account. I have not recently greatly changed my dropbox activity or added an unusually large number of files. This is clearly just a new, obnoxious and borderline-underhand marketing approach to get busy or less computer savvy people to upgrade in a panic thinking that their files are about to be lost or stop syncing before they check their account details. 

"It’s time to upgrade your account." When using around 1.5 of 2 tb of my storage for the last six months? Actually sounds like I have the perfect plan for me already!

"your files are about to stop syncing!" If my account is really going to struggle to sync when I am using 75% of the storage capacity that I pay for each month and have hundreds of gigabytes of space left, that is a terrible product and service. If the 2TB plan actually supports backup and sync for far fewer than 2TB of files, do not call it a 2TB plan.

"There's no need to delete anything...yet. We've got you covered." Great, that is literally exactly what I pay for each month. You don't need to let clutter my inbox congratulating yourselves for doing the service your company exists to do.

C'mon Dropbox. I'm squicked out. I just unsubscribed from "running out of space emails" but this is dumb as heck. 

dbox.jpg

17 Replies 17

DokterChaos
Explorer | Level 4

I'm already paying for Dropbox. I know what I want. Dropbox is frequently asking to upgrade to the family plan.

Stop begging me to pay more for a plan I don't even need.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @seahawk, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We appreciate the feedback on this matter. Were you by any change a member of a shared folder at this time?

This will help me to assist further.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

seahawk
New member | Level 2

Thanks, Jay! Yes, I have dozens of shared folders.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Is it possible that any of the folders recently had a lot of files added to it, which could have temporarily increased the quota usage on your account?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

seahawk
New member | Level 2

Though https://www.dropbox.com/events isn't the most powerful tool, according to this log, the only activity by collaborators in shared folders since April 1, 2022 was that one 206.5 KB file was moved. My collaborator was the owner of that shared folder anyway. 

In any event, I am happy someone is ostensibly taking my complaint seriously 🙂 But it was really meant to be negative feedback as, again, I'm pretty sure what I am experiencing is a new marketing tactic from Dropbox not a technical issue. I posted to the community forum bc there wasn't a clear way to contact customer service that allowed inclusion of attachments. These emails (and notifications - see below) put a bee in my bonnet and I wanted a way to air my grievances in the minuscule hope that it might make a difference. I do hope that wasn't an abuse of the forum. I understood it to be somewhere to leave feedback as well as ask questions. Kinda the last thing I want is to invest much more time in this because partly what was aggravating was it felt like DB was wasting my time, you know?... Thanks so much!

seahawk_0-1653355376315.png

Marc A.6
Collaborator | Level 9

Just when you think Dropbox can't get any worse, they surprise you. These email chains look like spam - they're so horribly conceived, with emojis in subject lines, that they do look like phishing emails.

But no, it's them. Harassing their customers with useless features and no significant product upgrades in years is not enough; it's time to spam them, and with scare tactics too.

This is a company that used to hack your Mac: https://medium.com/@dmxt/dropbox-is-a-backdoor-for-your-macintosh-2fcdf3b211e6

.. and ignored the existence of Apple Silicon (ARM) for the longest time, while giving priority to Office integration (it's not 1995 anymore, hello??) or other completely useless bloatware.

They have completely lost direction.

IronOre
New member | Level 2

Please STOP pushing marketing / advertisements with notifications.  At the very least, let me opt-out of marketing spam.  This is a gross misuse of notices, which I expect to be something IMPORTANT about my account - for example, a potential security breach.  I am forced to either turn off all notifications and risk missing important messages or leave notifications on and continue getting constantly interrupted with upsell SPAM.  I deleted my Uber account because of the nonsense.  STOP IT !!!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @IronOre, sorry to hear about that! 

In regards to the notifications that you mentioned, could you clarify where do you see them? Is it in email notifications, in the app or website? 

Also, are they notifications about possibly upgrading your account to a different plan?

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

IronOre
New member | Level 2

I'm getting notifications from the app on my iPhone & iPad about family upgrade offers and tax season.  When I go to Settings > Notifications > DropBox - I can only turn on or off notifications - there is no way to limit notifications, removing marketing msgs.  What makes this upsetting is that I rely on notifications to inform me about potential issues with my account that require my immediate attention - for example, a login I didn't perform.  Like I said in my post, I had to delete my Uber account due to this misuse of notifications.  Right now, I've turned-off notifications for DropBox to eliminate the spam - with the risk of missing important notices.

Need more support?