cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account inactive for years but still received 6-digit code when I tried to sign in

Account inactive for years but still received 6-digit code when I tried to sign in

Trey3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,
I have looked at several threads on here and have not found a good answer. I have an old Dropbox account that I lost access to back in the beginning of 2019. I lost access to it because the email associated with it no longer exists. I also know for a fact that any device that was once logged into it also does not exist. Any of those devices would be long gone.

There is no way any activity could be associated with the account, however today I went to enter the email and password, and it still proceeded to send the 6 digit code to the email that no longer exists.

Is this a thing with inactive accounts where sometimes it will still give you the option to sign in? I’m asking because at this point I just want the files to be deleted on the account, and I am not sure if that would be the case in this situation. I am not interested in gaining access to the account. I’m just concerned about my privacy because I had sensitive documents and personal information on there, and I’m hoping that maybe Dropbox still ended up deleting files, even though the option to sign in is still there.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Trey3, thanks for reaching out about this.

So, basically, you're getting a prompt that a 6 digit code was sent to your email, but have no access to the email, to check whether it's been sent or not, right?

In that case, can I send you an email to the address associated with your Community profile here, so we can take a deeper look into this?

Let me know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Trey3, thanks for reaching out about this.

So, basically, you're getting a prompt that a 6 digit code was sent to your email, but have no access to the email, to check whether it's been sent or not, right?

In that case, can I send you an email to the address associated with your Community profile here, so we can take a deeper look into this?

Let me know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Trey3
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Yes that works

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks, Trey, I just sent you an email, so we can continue there. 🙂

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

draxsynsmommy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hello, same thing with me... I am not able to log in and change email as it sends a 6 digit code to an email I no longer have access too, is there any way to go around that? my old email is literally my name 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @draxsynsmommy, I hope you're doing well!

Without access to the email address, I am afraid that there's not much you can do. It wouldn't be possible to read this code, therefore access the account.

Is it not feasible to recreate the email address and attempt to login again?

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

cuki
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have same problem can you help me pls

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@cuki wrote:

I have same problem can you help me pls

If you're trying to sign in to your Dropbox account and it's sending a one-time security code to an email address that you no longer have, it won't be possible to gain access to the account without access to the email associated with it. Your best option is to contact the mail provider and see if they can help you get the email address back.

jensu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

same problem here, I do remember my password (it is a good long strong one!), but I have no longer access to the email I used years ago when I registered with Dropbox. I cannot sign in and immediately change my details as the help page suggests because I am forced to go through this additional security step with the 6 digit code that is sent to my inaccessible email.

What's more I do still have access to my files through an API token I generated so can still list, read & write files in my Dropbox - but am unable to log in and update my details (like email!!) or just use the web interface.

Does the fact that I can still access my files go some way to prove that I am the original/legitimate user and am just trying to update my email details? Anyone able to work with me/help out, please?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jensu, welcome to our Community! 

When you say that you still have access to your files,through an API can you clarify if you are able to download them? If so, then we would suggest you download them, and create a new Dropbox account. 

Without access to the email address you won't be able to sign in to your account. Your best option to get into the account would be to contact the email provider and see if the email address can be reactivated.

I hope this helps!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Amitkumar1 Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?