cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to retrieve current password

How to retrieve current password

carancanfunfa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, I have dropbox installed in several devices and currently working fine. Now, I want to install it in a new device but I don't remember the current password. Is there some way to retrieve the password in use without going through a recovery password process? I want to avoid that because changing the password means to re-loggin with the new password in every device using the account, which is annoying, and since I am currently logged in, I suppose that the password must be stored somewhere. Do I suppose right?

Thanks,

Diego.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@carancanfunfa wrote:

Is there some way to retrieve the password in use without going through a recovery password process?

No. You have to reset the password.

I want to avoid that because changing the password means to re-loggin with the new password in every device using the account, which is annoying

Changing your password does not unlink a device from your account. Your password is only used to link a device to your account (and to sign-in on the website). Once linked, a device uses a secure token for authentication, and changing your account's password does not revoke the token.

since I am currently logged in, I suppose that the password must be stored somewhere. Do I suppose right?

No service worth anything would ever store passwords in a format that is human readable or recoverable. Able to reset, yes; recover, absolutely not.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@carancanfunfa wrote:

Is there some way to retrieve the password in use without going through a recovery password process?

No. You have to reset the password.

I want to avoid that because changing the password means to re-loggin with the new password in every device using the account, which is annoying

Changing your password does not unlink a device from your account. Your password is only used to link a device to your account (and to sign-in on the website). Once linked, a device uses a secure token for authentication, and changing your account's password does not revoke the token.

since I am currently logged in, I suppose that the password must be stored somewhere. Do I suppose right?

No service worth anything would ever store passwords in a format that is human readable or recoverable. Able to reset, yes; recover, absolutely not.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?