cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password reset without access to verification device

Password reset without access to verification device

DanielleHR
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We had an individual leave our company and do not have the password or emergency backup code for the account. I expect this was not a business account but don't know how to tell.  I have asked to reset the password on the account and got the reset password link on the departed employee's email account, but I do not have access to the device used for two factor authentication (her cell phone or laptop).   How do I complete the password change without access to the device needed for 2 factor authentication?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@DanielleHR without access to the security codes there is no way at all to get access to it - ultimately that is the whole point of 2FA (to stop people without access to the device getting access). There may have been work arounds if it was a paid for business account at the time but that wont work now retroactively. 

If it is working as a text message maybe popping the SIM in another device would work?

You are almost certainly going to need to get access another way, or, initiate your backup and security policy to get the files back from central locations. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DanielleHR wrote:

How do I complete the password change without access to the device needed for 2 factor authentication?

If you don't have access to the device to receive the two-step verification code, you'll need the emergency backup codes that were generated when two-step verification was enabled. Without them, it's not possible to gain access to an account that's protected with two-step verification.

DanielleHR
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you.  Is there an avenue to go through DropBox the company to unlock the account? It is some portion of the HR files for the company and we really do need access to them.  

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DanielleHR, welcome to our Community!

Do you have the backup codes by any chance, as Rich mentioned? 

Without access to them, or the device receiving the two-factor authentication code, that wouldn't be possible, I'm afraid. 

I hope this clarifies. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DanielleHR
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey Megan, we don't have the code. We do have the device the authentication is supposed to got to, but we don't have the password for that either and are locked out.  They may have to wipe out everything on it to get access to it.  If they do that will it still work for authentication? Is there anyway we can petition DropBox to unlock the account? It contains our HR files...😣 

Thanks for your help.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DanielleHR, the phone number would remain the same, so essentially it should work. 

It's worth giving it a try. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@DanielleHR without access to the security codes there is no way at all to get access to it - ultimately that is the whole point of 2FA (to stop people without access to the device getting access). There may have been work arounds if it was a paid for business account at the time but that wont work now retroactively. 

If it is working as a text message maybe popping the SIM in another device would work?

You are almost certainly going to need to get access another way, or, initiate your backup and security policy to get the files back from central locations. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    DanielleHR New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?