cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone using my email built an account. How do I get it back?

Someone using my email built an account. How do I get it back?

maduro
New member | Level 2

I own the email that this account was set up on.  When I tried to log in it was in Spanish and had another persons profile and data in here.  I'm assuming this person must have used my actual email as a throw away email he made up.  How do I get this account back attached to my email?

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @maduro, how are you today? 

You mentioned that you were able to access the Dropbox account, therefore it's safe to assume that it's still linked to your email address, since you'd need the correct email and password, in order to access it, right? 

If you still have access to the account, here are a couple of things you need to do, in order to be extra safe. 

However, if the account is linked to a different email address, I'd advise you to download your data, and create a new Dropbox account. 

If you have any questions, let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

maduro
New member | Level 2
So it’s my email account and I couldn’t get into the account so I changed the password and when I got in it was someone else’s stuff -

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @maduro, thanks for clarifying! 

In this case, and since the account is still linked to your email address, I suggest that you use the Help Center article I provided above, in order to add another layer of security to the account. 

If you have any questions, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mlarsson
New member | Level 2

Hi,

Same thing happened to me. Someone used an email address of mine, that previously had no account on dropbox. They created a new account with this email address.

The email address used is a modified version of my actual email address. It is modified so that it still points to my primary email box, because my email provider considers the following two addresses to be the same email address: "firstname.surname@email.com" and "firstnamesurname@email.com" i.e. the dot (.) is ignored. The dot is not apparently ignored by Dropbox though, and it also seems that email verification is not required since I never received any such email - I just got the "Welcome to Dropbox" email which is how I found out about this.

So, your advice is to simply "take over" this new account since it was (possibly by accident) created using my email address? That's all?

Let me know if you have any questions and I will attempt to clarify.

Rich
Super User II

@mlarsson wrote:

So, your advice is to simply "take over" this new account since it was (possibly by accident) created using my email address?

Yes, exactly. Since it's linked to your email address, reset the password for the account and you should receive the reset information in your email. At that point, whomever was trying to use it would be unable to.

mlarsson
New member | Level 2

All right, thanks! I did that and enabled 2-factor authentication too. Just wanted to check that this is the recommended action.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mlarsson New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    maduro New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?