cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution: strange number in a red circle on top of the Dropbox icon

How can I clear Dropbox notifications?

JB2023
Helpful | Level 5

I have two questions:

1. How can I clear Dropbox notifications?  I am using the latest version of Dropbox on my iPhone 10 (it was updated recently).  The Dropbox app keeps show a "2" on the notifications icon in the upper right of the Home screen.  When I tap on that it shows 6 unread notifications.  When I tap on any of the notifications, nothing happens.

2. How do I find out the version number of my Dropbox app?

Thank you

24 Replies 24

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to see you're having this issue, @Alan S.

Can you open the Dropbox app, tap on "account", then on the gear icon and then on "clear cache", to see if that helps.

We'd also recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the app as well.

Keep us updated.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

smith975
New member | Level 2

Same issue for me.

ben_galaxy
Explorer | Level 4

The same issue happens here: the red "2" (although when you open Notifications it actually shows that there are *6* unread notifications); clicking "Mark All as Read" does nothing, clearing cache and uninstalling/reinstalling app does not fix.

iPadOS: 16.3.1

Dropbox v320.3.2

David S.178
Collaborator | Level 9

Several postings here discuss a number in a red circle on top of the Dropbox icon. Clicking the icon opens a dialog box with no Notifications tab. Here is one reason why this might happen:

If you have your Windows 10 or 11 desktop right-click > display settings > system scaling and layout control set to 125% or 150%, the top of the Dropbox dialog box will be cut off, so you can't see the Notifications tab (for a bunch of useless notifications sent by Dropbox). Change your scaling temporarily to 100% in order dismiss the notifications that are causing the number in a red circle, so you can see the synchronization indicator again.

This is probably due to a bug in Dropbox that ignores system scaling when displaying the dialog box. At least here is how you can work around the bug.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi all, I just wanted to give you an update on this as this issue has been resolved now.

Thanks for your reports! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?