cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

update folder location

update folder location

dragonxks
Explorer | Level 3

My computer died, I rebuilt it, but the disk ended up being the "D:" instead of the "E:" drive.

I need a way to tell DropBox that the folder is on the D drive, but i have found NO WAY to do this. I just get error messages about the folder disappearing. no way to change the folder. I have done this before, so it used to be possible to do that. But now the option disappeared.

the instructions on how to "move" the location involve bringing up a UI I can no longer find.  Every time I run "dropbox" nothing comes up!  I get no user interface at all.  It appears to be frozen or broken.   A couple of times i did get an error display several minutes after starting complaining that the dropbox folder was MISSING but absolutely no way to tell it where the new location is.

I no longer have an E drive, so there is no way to put one there temporarily.

When it says "can't find folder" I just need a way to tell it what the folder is on this computer. 

I tried scanning the installation directory for a configuration file.  But none.  I also tried scanning the windows registry to see if I could find the setting in there and hack around this problem. But I could not find it there.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@dragonxks wrote:

It put a new dropbox folder on the C drive, but I can't have it on the C drive.  I have the old copy on the D drive and that is where I need it.

During the installation, I believe after you sign in, you can click on Advanced Options to specify the location of your Dropbox folder.

Also something strange, this forum changed my user ID.  I have emails showing the old ID "dropboxks" and now it is strangely changed to "dragonxks" and new email messages show that.

Not strange at all. You used "Dropbox" in your username and a moderator likely renamed your forum user as a result. Only Dropboxers can use "Dropbox" in their name, to avoid any confusion.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

dragonxks
Explorer | Level 3

As I thought, there is no way to do this.

Best solution is to UNINSTALL and then REINSTALL.   How LAME!

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @dragonxks  - could you clarify at which step of the process you get stuck exactly?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dragonxks
Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

Step two of that process simply does not work.  When I choose DropBox from the system menu, NOTHING appears.  There is no preferences to select in step 3 there is nothing.

I have rebooted several times to make sure there is not a zombie process running preventing this.  If I am not logged in, it will bring up a browser to log in, but once that is accomplished it says something like "go to dropbox" and nothing comes up.

I am running Windows 10.

The reinstall DID NOT WORK.  It put a new dropbox folder on the C drive, but I can't have it on the C drive.  I have the old copy on the D drive and that is where I need it.

I cannot bring up ANY user interface that indicates the location of the drop box folder, much less provide a way to change it.  This is super frustrating, and I am seriously considering switching to Apple Cloud.

I can access the web UI for dropbox, and I see all my files there, but I can't find any command there for manipulating the local folder location. 

When I choose the DropBox item from the system menu, it produces absolutely nothing. 

Even after uninstalling and reinstalling DropBox.  and even after multiple reboots of the system.

(Also something strange, this forum changed my user ID.  I have emails showing the old ID "dropboxks" and now it is strangely changed to "dragonxks" and new email messages show that.  I don't care about the online ID but this is very strange)

Rich
Super User II

@dragonxks wrote:

It put a new dropbox folder on the C drive, but I can't have it on the C drive.  I have the old copy on the D drive and that is where I need it.

During the installation, I believe after you sign in, you can click on Advanced Options to specify the location of your Dropbox folder.

Also something strange, this forum changed my user ID.  I have emails showing the old ID "dropboxks" and now it is strangely changed to "dragonxks" and new email messages show that.

Not strange at all. You used "Dropbox" in your username and a moderator likely renamed your forum user as a result. Only Dropboxers can use "Dropbox" in their name, to avoid any confusion.

dragonxks
Explorer | Level 3

yes I uninstalled. then reinstalled.  Then there is one screen, not obvious, but indeed advanced settings appears.

That seems a bit extreme asking people to uninstall and then reinstall just to get to the setting dialog.

WHY do you have a menu option that does nothing?  There is a Windows menu for drop box that does not cause anything to appear.  I also tried the button that appears when you log in that says "go to DropBox" also causes nothing to appear.

Clearly something is broken.

Also the advanced setting shows a path with "Dropbox" on the end, but if you select that same path in the browser, it warns you that it is going to add another Dropbox on the end.  If you want entry of a path without the DropBox then you should show it without the DropBox.  That problem has been there for years so nothing new. 

i will mark this resolved since I have the folder on the D drive now.

Thanks for the response.  Uninstalling, reinstalling, and choosing the "only ever shown once" advanced options did the trick.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dragonxks Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?