cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I delete the dropbox-dist-tmp folders on linux?

Can I delete the dropbox-dist-tmp folders on linux?

mairabay
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I keep getting a message from Dropbox that it cannot sync because I am out of disk space.

I used a disk space analyzer and it turns out that Dropbox itself is using approx 600MB accross multiple folders with the name dropbox-dist-tmp-XXXXXX (they are located in my /home/):

> du -sch .dropbox*
2.2M .dropbox
191M .dropbox-dist
159M .dropbox-dist-tmp-7hyie7y2
113M .dropbox-dist-tmp-d75lfgzf
132M .dropbox-dist-tmp-txi2smoy
596M total

I've looked at these folders and they all seem to contain the same thing (except for the .dropbox).

I've googled and found this somewhat similar issue on the Docker version of Dropbox.

Can someone confirm that these are just cache files? Is it ok for me to delete some or all of them?

Thanks

PS: I am on Ubuntu 16.04 and I am not using any simlinks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @mairabay,

Similar things could happens when you try 'play' with the distribution directory while dropbox is still running (confirmed from my experience). Probably this could be some update process side effect (I haven't seen this but...). Anyway: While the main distribution directory (.dropbox-dist) is consistent and ready, any other similar directories are meaningless and could be removed safely. :wink:

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @mairabay

Generally, .tmp files are temporary files created to temporarily hold data on your device while you're using a specific app.

For this reason, I'd recommend not deleting them, but instead rebooting your device - maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mairabay
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

While I appreciate the speed of your repsonse and your willingness to help, I would like to ask you (and whoever else reads this): please read the question throughly before trying to answer.

1) I am not talking about .tmp files. I never mentioned the .tmp extension or asked about deleting files. I am talking about a folder that has the following name structure: .dropbox-dist-tmp-XXXX. Please read the question throughly before trying to answer.

2) This has been happening for weeks now and rebooting does nothing to it.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me, @mairabay.

In order to have a more in-depth look on the matter, I've sent you a ticket to the email address associated to your Community profile. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message. 

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @mairabay,

Similar things could happens when you try 'play' with the distribution directory while dropbox is still running (confirmed from my experience). Probably this could be some update process side effect (I haven't seen this but...). Anyway: While the main distribution directory (.dropbox-dist) is consistent and ready, any other similar directories are meaningless and could be removed safely. :wink:

Hope this helps.

mairabay
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hey 
Need more support?