cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster: Dropbox removing external disk support for Mac users :(

Disaster: Dropbox removing external disk support for Mac users :(

Jon C.10
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

In case anyone's unaware... if you're a Mac user storing your Dropbox on an external drive, you'll shortly lose that ability.

https://talk.tidbits.com/t/dropbox-drops-support-for-storing-files-on-an-external-drive-and-onedrive...

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-support-for-expected-changes

Just confirmed this with DB support (see below).  Gutted - been with Dropbox for years and our entire video team flow is based around it 😕

>Hi there, I read today that you are scrapping the ability to store the Dropbox folder on external disks, on OSX. I'd like to ask more about this please.

> Hello Jon, and thank you for contacting Dropbox Support. My name is Joseph, and I will be more than happy to look into your request, right away.  

That is correct Jon, as part of the Dropbox for macOS update, the Dropbox folder must be located in ~/Library/CloudStorage.

>This is a showstopper for us, and will mean we have to move to another service. We have a large distributed team using DB for video work, no way it'll fit within internal drives.
Is there a workaround?

> I totally understand and I apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, there is no workaround on this as changing the location of your Dropbox folder is no longer supported by macOS.

>This change doesn't seem to have hit us yet - we're running a variety of machines inc Ventura
What will trigger its enforcement? Can we stay on an earlier OS or Dropbox version?

>The updates happening automatically every time the Dropbox app is restarting, for example if your device never restarts it should maintain the older version but we can't guarantee full functionality on older versions of the application.

>So what will happen - if we have a Dropbox folder on an 8TB drive and a tiny internal drive - will it try to clone stuff across and eat up the space? What's the mechanism?

>That's right, it will try to move the content on your internal drive until it has no space and gives you an error.

>Is Smartsync still supported? I.e. will it move stuff to being online only if it won't fit?

>It is, however it is now known as online-only.

678 Replies 678

Apothekerry
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agreed.  This change leaves us beucoup screued. 

FonsecaSergio
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
+1 that will cancel this service if there is no change or option

Jon C.10
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
If you read my exchange with db tech support they say it’ll happen when Dropbox is next automatically updated which happens on system restart.

Jon C.10
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
One drive appear to have made a workaround. Major shame db haven’t. 😕

nobone
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This change will make Dropbox unusable for me.

My system SSD has 128 GB and it's absolutely sufficient for me, because I do not store any data on it and I won't in the future, because I can't, because it's not large enough. I absolutely require the functionality to store the Dropbox folder where I want.

What even is this change?! I realize I should complain to Apple about this, and I will, but I'm also surprised how Dropbox doesn't have a louder voice regarding this whole issue...

>That's right, it will try to move the content on your internal drive until it has no space and gives you an error.
This part is actually infuriating and not Apple's fault. Luckily this hasn't happened on my system yet and I'll remove Dropbox completely before it does. Why isn't this being handled more professionally?

ommphoto
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Would love to know the answer to this -- if anybody knows and can chime in it would be much appreciated. If one runs a version of OS pre Ventura, will this prevent the external hard drive sync being dropped?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Jon C.10 wrote:

I'd call this into question. One of the things that happens when your Dropbox folder is moved during this update is that all files are marked as Online-only, meaning they don't take up any space on the local drive. It shouldn't fill the drive.

Jgcamil
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just switched to Pionner's Rekordbox professional plan that includes Dropbox unlimited.

I have a large music library, 3.5 tb, that is stored on an external ssd. This change is a no no as there is no way to store that in my internal ssd.

I will have to initiate a refund as this option no longer serves my needs.

Bye bye Dropbox,

Ru 1971
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is an absolute disaster for my business too! Multiple Macs in different locations with externals SSD sharing several TB of Dropbox to sync Video & Audio apps. What are they thinking??? It's currently running fine so can they not find a solution? If this gos ahead I'll be getting a refund & trying to figure out an alternative. 

Jon C.10
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Nope it's everything from Catalina onwards I think.

However a Reddit user came up with a possible workaround:

"It is linked to your home user folder location. If you move your home folder to an external drive, dropbox goes with it. And for that matter, so do google drive, one drive, box etc."

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ArthurPix Collaborator | Level 10
    mkaufman Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?