cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to upgrade because an account I have been given access to has exceeded my storage limit?

Do I have to upgrade because an account I have been given access to has exceeded my storage limit?

IrisConsultingNE
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a basic free Dropbox account with 2.25GB of storage. I have been given access to a client's paid account to be able to access and edit their docs when needed. I want to use my own Dropbox account for other things.

My account is saying I've exceeded my storage limit and files have stopped synching - I've seen in the community that their usage impacts my storage space as well - do I have to pay to upgrade to get more storage for my own account because I have access to their account? I don't want a paid account.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@IrisConsultingNE wrote:

I have been given access to a client's paid account to be able to access and edit their docs when needed. ... My account is saying I've exceeded my storage limit and files have stopped synching ...

You haven't been given access to their account. You've been invited to join a shared folder. When you accept, you're adding the folder to your own account, so you need enough storage to hold it. You're not directly accessing a folder in their account. You have your own copy of the folder, and it syncs with theirs.

You'll either need to upgrade your account or, if you only need view access, ask them to send you a shared link instead.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@IrisConsultingNE wrote:

I have been given access to a client's paid account to be able to access and edit their docs when needed. ... My account is saying I've exceeded my storage limit and files have stopped synching ...

You haven't been given access to their account. You've been invited to join a shared folder. When you accept, you're adding the folder to your own account, so you need enough storage to hold it. You're not directly accessing a folder in their account. You have your own copy of the folder, and it syncs with theirs.

You'll either need to upgrade your account or, if you only need view access, ask them to send you a shared link instead.

IrisConsultingNE
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the answer...

If I am solely using Dropbox for their files that would mean both the client and myself are paying monthly subscription fees for the same content, right?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @IrisConsultingNE 

Yes thats correct.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@IrisConsultingNE wrote:

If I am solely using Dropbox for their files that would mean both the client and myself are paying monthly subscription fees for the same content, right?

Same content, but you have your own copy of those files in your account. You are not directly accessing the same copy of files in their account. You have your own copy and when you make changes to those files, the changes are synced to the copy in your client's account.

IrisConsultingNE
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you 👍

dferens12
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have provided access to someone with a basic subscription to upload files to one of my data rooms. They are being told they need to pay to upload any more data. It is my room, under my subscription, why would this individual need to pay for a subscription just to upload files for a two week process? It is my dropbox room. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If they have been added to a shared folder which they then have read write access to it uses up their space and their quota. 

If, however, you just need an upload off them cancel the share and send them a Requests link: www.dropbox.com/requests

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    dferens12 New member | Level 2
    IrisConsultingNE Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?