cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox full because of shared folder

Dropbox full because of shared folder

Michele A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, i have a dropbox account and the free space that i have is full because of the files inside the shared folder that i have with some friends.
Is there a way to avoid that the shared folder that uses the free space of my account without cancelling those folder?
Because i have no more space and i haven't uploaded any files

Excuse me for my english but i found problem on trying to traduce this message from my language

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Your English is very good Michele - well done!

And no, if you need read write access to that folder if will use your quota. If you just need read only access leave the share and ask the other person sends you a read only Shared link.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

You can LEAVE and REJOIN a shared folder when ever you like.

So one method of getting space is to LEAVE the shared folder. And REJOIN it when you need it.

If you ONLY need some files from the shared folder and ONLY at some times, I would additionally ask the owner of the shared folder for a LINK to it, in that way you can use the link to it and download via web the files you need when you need them.

ubo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Although I don't agree with Dropbox, and this is the primary reason I won't spring for Pro, I understand why they did this.

It's simple, really. Say, someone creates 10 free accounts. 10 x 2GB = 20GB. Now, that person, from each account shares a folder with his main account. That person just got more, free, space.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

132 Replies 132

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Your English is very good Michele - well done!

And no, if you need read write access to that folder if will use your quota. If you just need read only access leave the share and ask the other person sends you a read only Shared link.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

You can LEAVE and REJOIN a shared folder when ever you like.

So one method of getting space is to LEAVE the shared folder. And REJOIN it when you need it.

If you ONLY need some files from the shared folder and ONLY at some times, I would additionally ask the owner of the shared folder for a LINK to it, in that way you can use the link to it and download via web the files you need when you need them.

Corstiaan S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've read this a couple of times now and just cannot believe it. If someone wants to share a folder with me, it's their storage use and their responsibility, not mine. I couldn't use my dropbox anymore because a couple of people shared folders with me. So in effect I had stored NOTHING in dropbox but couldn't use it either. Simply unacceptable. I'm leaving Dropbox for this. Bybye Dropbox, Hello Google drive!

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Corstiann S:
So do you have a copy of all the files in your dropbox? YES
And do those files ALSO sync with the other persons copy of the files in their dropbox? YES
So you have something even BETTER than a normal folder that just sits in your dropbox? YES
So dont you think its fair that your dropbox is big enough to put your copy of the file into? ..... well ..... ummmm ..... yes 😛

Corstiaan S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Dave
And why the hell would I want "A copy of" all the files in my dropbox? Let's say a file is shared with 3 people. It doesn't take up 3 times the storage, does it? No either you don't understand how digital files and storage work or you're just ignorant.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Corstiaan S. LOL you calling me ignorant, just goes to show how ignorant you are.
The purpose of DB is to sync files between your computer and devices.
If you share a folder with someone then you share the files in the folder to be able to sync them between your devices.
So "why the hell would you want "A copy of" all the files in your dropbox (which is for syncing files between your devices)?
ANSWER: To sync those files between your devices (and additional between that persons devices).
If you dont want that then leave the shared folder and DONT retain a copy of the files.
Its you who is stuck in the non digital world still thinking your getting your own physical storage space on some cloud platform, I would suspect you have no idea how Db manage yours, others, and shared files. NO ONE has any unique storage space AT ALL!
Its all one big storage zone, and each account is given rights to view/update the VOLUME of content the account can access within that storage zone. You dont have YOUR space and they THEIR space, so you cant have some of THEIR space in your account, its all DB's space, and you can access the volume of it that your account can access.
Did you think if 30 people put up the same 4GB ISO file that DB keeps 30 copies of it?
I would suggest (1) you read up on how DB store/update/retrieve content, and (2) where the costs for that lie.

Jacob L.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Dave - Then why does dropbox communicate an unclear message to their users? Their messaging is relatively misleading, wouldn't you agree? I personally am not impressed with dropbox's constant pressure to upgrade storage. I want dropbox to be something I can't live without, not something that is trying to market to me every single folder of the way. I also don't like that DB makes it so difficult to figure out how to remove deleted files to free up memory. While you are trying to find it you see at least three buttons to upgrade. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Jacob - deleted files do not use quota, hence why they dont tell you how to remove deleted files to free up quota.... 

The ONLY files using up quota are 'active' ones you can see at www.dropbox.com/home 

Heather b.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've paid for an upgrade and a client shared a folder full of huge art files. Now i'm again at my limit. Initially, I only wanted to see what was being shared w me but by clicking on the file - the "sharing" process began automatically and I couldn't stop it. 

I have to waste precious work time reviewing old jobs and cleaning out Dropbox to make more space. And figuring out how to do that was no picnic. And now I don't remember how I accomplished it the last time.

I agree with the others who feel hoodwinked and not served by Dropbox. (And I'm disappointed by how quickly a site like this in which the discussion is about technical issues degenerated into name calling.) I'm ready to post my dissatisfaction to a wider audience.

Need more support?