cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there enough storage freed up to access a shared item?

Is there enough storage freed up to access a shared item?

Gala_4
Explorer | Level 4

I am an early adopter of Dropbox -- have been on for 10-15 years. I remember it was creaky at the beginning and I may have had more than 1 account until I got everything working. It's been fine and I now have a Basic (free) account with 2 GB of storage, and with promos , referrals etc. it says I now have 5.25GB. I am suddenly getting a message that I am out of storage and I get a similar message when I try to accept an invitation to edit a shared Dropbox used by my volunteer association.  I could join this in  the past but when I found I was out of storage I deleted that folder ... did it really get deleted?

Everything has worked fine in the past -- I wonder now if there is hidden storage somewhere or if I possibly  have more than one account, but it doesn't seem to indicate this. Are deleted files not actually being deleted from my storage? I have been deleting files to get below 2GB hoping that might let me get to the shared folder. But I still can't join the shared folder to edit it.

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 10.09.29 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Gala_4, if your account has 5.25 GB in total, then you won't be able to join a shared folder that is greater in size. 

You'll need to either earn extra quota on your account, or purchase a paid plan to have enough to join that folder.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Calvin2DBX
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Gala_4,

Glad you raised this with us! Let me help with that.

I can see from the screenshot that the majority of the space is being taken up by other shared content.

Shared items stop using your space as soon as removed on your side.

You can delete your own copy of any additional shared folders to temporarily leave them, without affecting anyone else (no need to use the option of leaving permanently.)

So long as you left a shared item temporarily, you'd find it on the Shared section from your Dropbox Home page, from where you can add it back.

See if that clears up enough space for you to be able to join the new folder.

Keep me posted!

Calvin
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Gala_4
Explorer | Level 4
The solution proposed does not work as the file to join is 6GB and I have ‘deleted’ all the share folder to get them off my drive. I have only a couple of MB files left but only 5.25 GB with my free account plus gifted space a decad

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Gala_4, if your account has 5.25 GB in total, then you won't be able to join a shared folder that is greater in size. 

You'll need to either earn extra quota on your account, or purchase a paid plan to have enough to join that folder.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Joshua_Marvin
New member | Level 2

Why does everyone associated with a shared folder have to have the full storage space when it should only be stored by one account. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joshua_Marvin New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Gala_4 Explorer | Level 4
    Calvin2DBX Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?