cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to add a shared folder to my dropbox despite clearing my cache

Unable to add a shared folder to my dropbox despite clearing my cache

rramey
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I recently started a dropbox account (Basic 2GB free) and was able to add one shared folder with no issues. However, another shared folder that I was sent an invite for does not allow me to add it but instead I receive the screen showing "Your account is out of storage!". However, my current plan shows Using 0.94 GB of 2 GB space. The individual who shared the folder told me to reach out to Dropbox support. The only option of support for my current plan is community so I am posting here. 

Also, I saw another dropbox user's post experiencing issues with adding a shared folder (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Unable-to-add-folder-to-My-Dropbox/m-p/5764...) with a response to what I thought might be a resolution of clearing the cache. However, when I tried to logged out, cleared my cache and logged back in and re-tried to add, I still encounter the same issue. I'm attempting to add the shared folder through the browser and not the desktop app and I'm using the latest version of Chrome on Windows 10. Also, I saw some documentation where there is mention of adding shared folders from the shared tab but based on what I see in my account, only folders can be chosen to be shared, not received. 

Is this issue an error or could it be a limitation of the free 2GB account (I was able to add one shared folder but not 2), in which case my goal was not to upgrade as I am not a normal user of Dropbox so it is not a priority. 

When I mentioned this problem to the individual who invited me to the shared folders, they added that to their knowledge they haven’t been informed of others experiencing similar issues with the free 2GB account and are hopeful the Dropbox team can shed some light on this for you. 

5 Replies 5

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rramey, welcome aboard the Community!

As a first step, can you please clarify for me what’s the exact size of the folder you’re trying to add to your Dropbox account? 

Let me know when you have more updates, and we'll have a look into this.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

rramey
Explorer | Level 3

I'm not sure how I would know the answer to that. I was provided an email invite to the folder name. There is no apparent way to identify what that size would be on my end. The inviter says they cannot assist with dropbox issues but has instructed me to reach out to dropbox support for any issues concerning this but says importantly, they haven't been informed of others experiencing similar issues. As my account is new account, just created and is only 2GB. 

From your feedback so far, I've deduced that shared folders must be counting towards my 2GB and when I searched this article it was confirmed to be the case. The suggestion made is to either:

I will look into both methods. I doubt the inviter wants to re-sharing links to folders as they then have to manage link settings if I want to download videos (please confirm if this is the case?) so I will look for ways to add space. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rramey, as you've noted, shared folders do take up quota on all active members' accounts, so you'd need enough quota on your account to add the shared folder.

Shared links that you receive, however, allow you to download files to your computer without having to add them to your account. You can't upload files into that folder, but if they create a file request, this would be possible.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Larry 1
New member | Level 2

I have the same issue as @rramey. Your response is indicating that you can download files without the folder being added to my storage limit. But how do I see the folder being shared with me to download the files, if I cannot get passed the window wanting me to upgrade? And since I can't get to the shared folder, I cannot see how big the shared folder is. I am only using 0.07GB of my 2GB storage capacity. I'm not expecting the shared folder to be larger than 2GB.

Rich
Super User II

@Larry 1 wrote:

But how do I see the folder being shared with me to download the files, if I cannot get passed the window wanting me to upgrade?

You can't. You need to ask the person that shared it with you to send you a view-only shared link instead.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Larry 1 New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    rramey Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?