cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your dropbox is full" but it isn't

"Your dropbox is full" but it isn't

Solomon N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

On Mac air with newest OS. I uninstalled the app, checked the hard drive, restarted the computer, barked at the moon, clapped twice and prayed to allah. The problem remains. 

I refuse to pay to upgrade. I cannot sync additional files. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Julian O.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Paul!

When you join a shared folder, that folder now resides in your Dropbox too and therefore takes up space.

Your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, so a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

If you need a little more space, you can visit the following pages on our website to see how you can earn bonus space:

- Earn bonus space by learning about Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/gs
- Earn bonus space by referring people to Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/referrals
- Earn bonus space by telling people about Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/free

Thanks,

Dom

View solution in original post

51 Replies 51

Paul S.74
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I attempted to open a shared folder for the first time, but I received a message saying it was full. The folder contained nowhere near the 2 GBs of data. It seems the only option is to upgrade, but that doesn't make sense. Please advise.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It only needs to contain more that your account has free, how much do u have free compared to the shared folder?

Paul S.74
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm sorry, but I do not understand the question. My understanding is that you get 2 MGs free initially. The folder sent to me has far less than that. I don't know why it would say "full" if this was my first time using Dropbox. Any ideas?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If it's saying full then the shared folder likely has more than the 2GB available in your new Dropbox account. Open your Account page and see what it shows you for usage in your account. You should see a line that looks like this:

31.2 GB of 36 GB used   Regular files (30.8 GB)   Shared files (386.8 MB)   Unused space (4.8 GB)

Please tell us what it shows for each section.

Paul S.74
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It shows that my regular files are 2 of 2 GBs but shared are 0. So what constitutes regular and why is it full if I've never used Dropbox before? Also, the administrator informed me that other new users were able to view the shared folders.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Are you kidding me? Your regular (unshared files) are currently using 2 of 2 GB and now you want to add a shared folder with more files in it!
What part of already used 2 of 2 didnt tweak you to that you dont have any left to use?

Erica e.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I keep getting a 'Your Dropbox is full." notification, even after I deleted most of my files. Why is this happening? Does this mean I have to begin paying for more space even though I am not using all the space?

Tom_H
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Erica,

Make sure the message is about your Dropbox space and not the hard drive space on your computer being low. There have been a lot of those lately.

Dave S.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am getting the same error message (it's a business account) but it says I've used 500Gb out of 2Gb. And when I check my files, I only have 700Mb.

It is definitely not the hard drive space on my computer - free space on the C drive is 231Gb.

Any suggestions? How can I contact DB support directly?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lee B.29 New member | Level 2
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Paul S.74 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?