cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Your dropbox is full" but it isn't

"Your dropbox is full" but it isn't

Solomon N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

On Mac air with newest OS. I uninstalled the app, checked the hard drive, restarted the computer, barked at the moon, clapped twice and prayed to allah. The problem remains. 

I refuse to pay to upgrade. I cannot sync additional files. 

51 Replies 51

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The originator of the share is likely mistaken. If you have nearly 2.7GB of available space in your account and Dropbox is saying that you'll run out of space, then the shared folder you've been invited to is larger than 2.7GB.

Geoffrey F.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

OK, so it turns out that the new photographer has like a 12 Megapixel camera and the person delivering the files had no idea that they were huge.

Obviously, Dropbox is watching the file sizes closely. It would be nice if they would give us an indicator of the size of shared folders so that we have some idea how to proceed. The current user interface tries to be "simple", but ends up being frustrating when it appears that Dropbox is broken.

I might consider upgrading for some projects if I had that information. But I'm a volunteer; I'm not going to throw money just in case that might fix the problem.

Pam R.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My Dropbox is empty.  I put every file in the trash.  Now I cannot download a new file which is not big.  I get an error message saying it is full.  Maybe I should turn my computer off and reboot and then this box will "know" it's empty?  Paper sure was easier.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

A restart is a good idea Pam - as is logging in and out on website. 

Also, if you've only just done the trashing thing you need to give it time to reindex and sync (i.e. back to a green tick)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Pam R.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Says I can't sign in cause email is already in use.  Yeah.  that's me.  My picture.  Then, next thing I know, I'm signed in.  What's up with that?

I turned off and rebooted and tried to download again.  Nope full.  What the heck is a green tick.  Last I heard you got Lyme's from that. 

I really needed to get some work done this afternoon.  How long will it take to reindex, etc.?

Liz E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

OK so I have used 891mb of my 2.2gb allowance.  This is what it says in my account settings tab, the drop down bit of my profile tab and all the files, including in shared folders on the drop box home page match what is in my dropbox on my desktop.  However, as you can see from the screen grabs,

the desktop folder size does not tally with the size on the website.  However, it is still only 935.7MB.  

My drop box was (and still is) saying I am full.  The transcripts folder in the screen grab is no longer in existence, as I have left that team/group thing but it is still saying I am full.  I have quit the app, signed out of drop box and signed back in again.  

Is there anything that can be done?  I'm waiting on some more files to work on in the next day or two and it is really holding me up.  

Solomon N.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The ONLY solution is to use iCloud drive or Google drive. Dropbox still hasn't provided a solution or anyone else respectfully.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

the desktop folder size does not tally with the size on the website.

And it won't. The Dropbox folder has a hidden cache folder in it. This folder does not count against your storage quota and only exists on your computers (it's not in your account online). Because of this the local Dropbox folder size will usually vary compared to the size reported online.

The transcripts folder in the screen grab is no longer in existence

That's not a folder name in the message; it's the team name. Have you actually left the team?

Liz E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Solomon,

Can google drive be used to share audio files?  We use it to work on documents collaboratively because it works in real time, but kind of assumed that because the project leader was getting up to upload audio onto dropbox it was because google didn't have that functionality.

I'll ask my colleague if he can try sending via G-Drive.

I'm very annoyed about having wasted so much time on this if it is a known issue and there is no fix.

Liz E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Rich,

Yes, I left the Transcripts team.  Sorry for not being clearer in my original post

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lee B.29 New member | Level 2
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Paul S.74 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?