cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Downloading Files using the app, how to do this?

Automatically Downloading Files using the app, how to do this?

PlanetHave
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi foks,

I've been using Dropbox for about ten years to transfer many small documents easily between my home and work computers, both Macs.

After the recent update I've noticed that I have to manually download documents.

Does anyone know how to change back so that they download automatically?

Here's a screenshot of the little clouds I have to click to download the documents.

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 06.52.39.png

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @PlanetHave 

That is a feature of 'Smart Sync'. 

So to disable you need to go in to Preferences, go in to Sync and then 'New files default 'Available Offline'.

However, you will need to right click on all the ones with the little cloud and set that to 'Make appear offline'. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @PlanetHave 

That is a feature of 'Smart Sync'. 

So to disable you need to go in to Preferences, go in to Sync and then 'New files default 'Available Offline'.

However, you will need to right click on all the ones with the little cloud and set that to 'Make appear offline'. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

PlanetHave
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Many thanks!

RealDeel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This setting has been removed on the Mac version of the app after the recent update. 

I agree with the original comment that after years of automatically making all files available offline it seems strange to remove this option.  I'm now in a position where I'm stuck on bad wifi, waiting for almost 7000 files to sync, instead of them syncing at my home where the wifi is much better.  This way when I'm working in locations with no wifi, poor wifi, or only a hotspot with data restrictions I'm not waiting for files to download.  It is counter intuitive for people that are used to working with your system this way are expected to now remember every time they add a file they need to go make it "offline" available. 

Dropbox needs to consider that people have been using it as a sharing and transfer service for years, not simply storage in the cloud.  I got Google for that.

Please fix.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RealDeel New member | Level 2
    PlanetHave Helpful | Level 6
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?