cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I retrieve an old version of a file without *restoring* it?

Can I retrieve an old version of a file without *restoring* it?

jim_in_public
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have a file in my Dropbox account that is frequently updated; thus I have a bunch of previous versions of it, which appear on the "Previous versions" page.  I see that, on that page, I can click a button and *restore* the old version, which I take to mean that the current version would be replaced with the old version.

So: Is there a way to keep the current version in place but download the previous version I'm interested in?  I have a feeling that if I click the link on the previous version it'll let me do that, but the design of the page is not very clear about this, and I want to make sure I don't accidentally clobber the current version.  Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jim_in_public
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks.  I did kinda the same, but, instead of clicking on the "restore" button, I clicked the link attached to the old version (again, on the Previous Versions page).  I got this:

2018-01-18_13-15-38.png

The Restore button here does the same kind of restore as the Restore button on the Previous Versions page, but the Download button does, indeed, download the file to wherever my browser puts those things.  So, unless you find something different, clicking the file link seems to give me what I want.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

jim_at_dropbox wrote:

Is there a way to keep the current version in place but download the previous version I'm interested in?

No, there isn't. If you click Restore, the current version of the file will be overwritten. However, that current version will now be listed in Version History and itself can be restored as well.

I've just edited a text file and saved it. The new version appears in Version History along with previuous versions from October. I restore the last previous version of that file, prior to today's edit. Today's edits are now gone, and that version of the file is listed in Version History.

c7d8a6675dad32dedf48b98ce24b575e.png

jim_in_public
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks.  I did kinda the same, but, instead of clicking on the "restore" button, I clicked the link attached to the old version (again, on the Previous Versions page).  I got this:

2018-01-18_13-15-38.png

The Restore button here does the same kind of restore as the Restore button on the Previous Versions page, but the Download button does, indeed, download the file to wherever my browser puts those things.  So, unless you find something different, clicking the file link seems to give me what I want.

Tom H.
Super User
Go to solution

Are you on a Mac by chance ? If so "Revisions for Dropbox" on the App Store can connect to your Dropbox account and it is able to download a file to a different location on your Hard Drive.  I have no affiliation with the developer, I do own the app, though I purchased it a long time ago. 

I don't find it the easiest to use. The indexing process takes a long time. I also had one file that refused to unzip. Though that could be for any number of reasons. 

Revesions also appears, to now be free, and available outside of the App store. https://www.revisionsapp.com

Disclaimer: I cannot speak to its safety and security, as I have not used it in sometime now. That would defiantly be a decision you need to make on your own.  Having said that it was passed and approved for sale by both Apple and Dropbox (Assumes vetted due to API usage by Dropbox)

----

1paw.png If this has helped you, please "kudo" this post.
2paw.png If it has solved your issue please "Accept as Solution".

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Actually, when I view version history, if you click the filename on the left, you'll be able to immediately preview that file, and then on the top right you’ll get the options to either restore to that version or to directly download the file.

See the following images:

restore1.pngrestore2.png

Could you try testing it out to let me know if it works for you?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

jim_at_dropbox wrote:

I clicked the link attached to the old version ... the Download button does, indeed, download the file

Ah, nice find! Never realized that was there.

Need more support?