cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting to Unknown "File" Type

Converting to Unknown "File" Type

frankbrennan
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have a folder of docs that was uploaded to Dropbox in PDF form. I tried to access these PDFs, and It now says that it is an unknown file type. When I expand details, where it says file type (usually .docx, .pdf, .jpeg etc) and it just says "File". I cannot open these documents, I did not do anything that I know of that would change the file type from PDF. It is happening to about half of the PDFs in the folder at random. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@frankbrennan wrote:

I tried to access these PDFs, and It now says that it is an unknown file type. When I expand details, where it says file type (usually .docx, .pdf, .jpeg etc) and it just says "File".

Do the files still have their .pdf extension at the end of the file's name? If not, your computer won't know how to handle the file. Rename the files and add .pdf to the end of the file name.

Dropbox isn't capable of changing your files like that, so it's likely something else causing it. If you or someone has recently renamed the files and removed the extension, that would cause it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@frankbrennan wrote:

I tried to access these PDFs, and It now says that it is an unknown file type. When I expand details, where it says file type (usually .docx, .pdf, .jpeg etc) and it just says "File".

Do the files still have their .pdf extension at the end of the file's name? If not, your computer won't know how to handle the file. Rename the files and add .pdf to the end of the file name.

Dropbox isn't capable of changing your files like that, so it's likely something else causing it. If you or someone has recently renamed the files and removed the extension, that would cause it.

frankbrennan
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank You! That worked!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

frankbrennan Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?