cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Sync Windows 10 Not Working Anymore

Dropbox Sync Windows 10 Not Working Anymore

AnnoyedRustProgrammer
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

For about half I year I have persistent issues relating to dropbox trying to sync between 20k and 100k files (the total size of the latter is currently estimated to be about 4mb, which doesn't even make sense seeing that the block size of NTFS is 4kb...so something is broken). This number does not go down. No changes get synced once in this state; neither up nor down nor lan-sync.

Logging out & deleting the whole folder and any remaining dropbox cache files results in it working again after a reinstall.

But it breaks again quite quickly afterward.

I think compiling rust projects does accelerate the breaking. Maybe something to do with all the auxiliary files cargo produces.

It would be really nice to see a list of all the files dropbox is trying to sync, I could not figure out how. Also some of the files have hash-based names which might result in too long file names. But...like I said downloading all the files again makes everything work for a few hours. Also selectively syncing them to not be synced does not result in an improvement even after restarting the system. Is it possible that having non-conforming names online only also causes my issue? And having it local only too?

Generally the changes made to the selective-sync seem to propagate quite slowly, which is quite annoying when trying to figure out which exact files are causing this headache.

I tried for days now to pin down the issue but couldn't quite. I do not have any sync issues reported by the dropbox client. I think I saw a script once that checks recursively for file-name issues? Can't find it right now, but a link to that would be greatly appreciated.

I find it kind of ironic that the syncing has worked perfectly on my linux machine for the last 5 years of my premium membership yet has some weird issues on windows. Really quite the reversal of the usual software experience. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @AnnoyedRustProgrammer, sorry to hear you're having issues with this and thanks for the detailed report.

Could you please let me know the version of the desktop app installed on your computer?

Also, have you considered setting the files you mentioned to be ignored via the desktop app?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @AnnoyedRustProgrammer, sorry to hear you're having issues with this and thanks for the detailed report.

Could you please let me know the version of the desktop app installed on your computer?

Also, have you considered setting the files you mentioned to be ignored via the desktop app?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

AnnoyedRustProgrammer
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The version number is v151.4.4304 (the problem still persisted when not ignoring the files).
When ignoring the files everything works as intended though, thus why I have forgotten to answer for this long.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that ignoring those files did the trick for you @AnnoyedRustProgrammer

If you'd like to keep troubleshooting, could you clarify if the issue you originally reported is with slow syncing or if syncing was stuck? 

A screenshot of the desktop app's status as shown when having the issue would be very helpful too. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    AnnoyedRustProgrammer Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?