cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File cannot be accessed by the system

File cannot be accessed by the system

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I have a paid account from Dropbox Plus.  When I attempt to access some files in Dropbox, I get the File Cannot be Accessed by the System error.  This happens with all of my jpg and other photo files.  I have been able to access all of these files in the past.  It's only since I moved to Windows 11 that this has started. Any help is appreciated

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

The problem is fixed. I uninstalled Dropbox from my pc p, under my login and my husband’s login. I then deleted the Dropbox folder located in the user subdirectory on the hard drive. Rebooted and reinstalled. The only issue I have is that the thumbnails for photos stored on Dropbox do not show, only a folder icon. 

thanks for your offer to help

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Joycegtx1951 wrote:

When I attempt to access some files in Dropbox, I get the File Cannot be Accessed by the System error. ... It's only since I moved to Windows 11 that this has started.

Right-click one of the files and select Make available offline, then try opening it again.

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I tried to right click and the only Dropbox choice is "send with Dropbox transfer". No other options. The photo displays correctly in dropbox.com. And on my iPhone and iPad. The problem is Windows 11 explorer

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Joycegtx1951, sorry to see you're having this issue.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the error message you're getting and a screenshot of your right-click options?

Also, what's the current sync status and version of the Dropbox application?

You can hover over the Dropbox icon in your system tray for this info.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thanks for your response and your offer to thelp. Here are the right click Dropbox options

Joycegtx1951_0-1675869222024.png

Here is the error I get when I try to access a photo from Dropbox via Windows Explorer. I have no trouble accessing Word, Excel or PDF files in the same manner. It's just photos. Not only does the thumbnail not display, now it says I have no permission. 

Joycegtx1951_1-1675869303797.png

I have administrative rights to the root folder

Megan_0-1700561857782.jpeg

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Besides my response with screenshots, now I can't access any file. PDF, DOCX or Excel. Same issue 

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

The problem is fixed. I uninstalled Dropbox from my pc p, under my login and my husband’s login. I then deleted the Dropbox folder located in the user subdirectory on the hard drive. Rebooted and reinstalled. The only issue I have is that the thumbnails for photos stored on Dropbox do not show, only a folder icon. 

thanks for your offer to help

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joycegtx1951 Helpful | Level 7
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?