cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File sharing and invites to view/edit folders

File sharing and invites to view/edit folders

ashereve
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello all,

I'm new to the Dropbox space and have a question because I'm SO confused!  I have a client who invited me to view folders and also to edit the folders.  Does this affect my personal Dropbox account and how much space I have?  I have a free account right now and would need to upgrade to view everything my client sent me.  Is there a way to share the account so that my space isn't affected?  Hope this makes sense!

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Read only links that you view on the website do not use up quotas.

Shared folders you need for access to edit files do take up quota.

There isnt a way to share space unless the other person has a Business account and adds you to the team. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Read only links that you view on the website do not use up quotas.

Shared folders you need for access to edit files do take up quota.

There isnt a way to share space unless the other person has a Business account and adds you to the team. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

BetLucy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a free DB account. My client has a Business account.

She said she gave me access and when I can see all their folder but it says MY dropbox is full and its all their files!

Therefore I cannot upload a file that I did work on for them as it says I need to add storage.

I was understanding that if she sent me a link it took me right to THEIR dropbox account where I can edit/upload.

Why isnt this working?? she did click on add user/share and it automatically sent me an email with the link which is what I clicked on to get in/see all this.

HELP this is effecting my creds.

Family User with problem
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
When I try inviting someone to share a folder on the iPhone app, I get an error message: failed to load sharing screen. Could not retrieve sharing information.

I don’t get past this…..

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Family User with problem, welcome to our Community! 

Can you walk me through the process that you follow? Are these the steps that you follow on your end? 

Have you tried signing out of the app, then back in, by any chance?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Family User with problem New member | Level 2
    BetLucy New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?