cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I open PDF files from Dropbox on Android devices?

How do I open PDF files from Dropbox on Android devices?

Giannis F.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello 🙂

There is a problem with PDF files. They do not open when downloading in android devices 😞

The dropbox link is ?dl=1

There isn't any problem when downloading in Desktop PC and Apple iOS, there is problem only in Android.

Look here for the PDF file as an example: https://www.openbook.gr/se-mia-olympia-traveller-79/

There is nothing wrong with tha PDF files. If I download the same files from e.g. Gmail to my Android devices they open normally !

Can you please check it?

28 Replies 28

tondija
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
thanx for response.
- as in some other posts at this thread i get error massage:... "pdf is of invalid format", it shuts off in a second
- when i copy paste url in android chrome it offers me app or continue, there isno desktop option as you were mentioning.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying that for me @tondija.

When you open the link within Chrome, choose to continue and then tap the 3 dots in the top right corner.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tondija
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
it does not help it only changes the format at that specific oppenig of the file in dropbox.
so:
- copying dropbox url link to chrome android browser works
- clicking dropbox url from gmail link to open in chrome results in error of reading of pdf
this is unusable for me and my clients as they might think pdf is corrupt, rearly have cluent "the mind of a hacker" to try a workaround...

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your patience @tondija.

So we can have a better look into this, I've sent you an email to the address linked with your Community profile.

If you'd like, please just check your inbox when you have a moment.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

FloMan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same problem. There are different people accessing my pdf links and I can't control who is opening it with which browser from which device, it should just work for android/chrome/firefox whatever usual constellation. Can't manually change links all the time. Please fix it, Dropbox or I have to move to a different provider. Thanks!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @FloMan, thanks for joining us here!

Just out of curiosity, could you just let me know if you still get the error when you copy and paste the link into your browser, rather than just tapping on the link?

Keep me posted - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

desi2p
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

my issue is fixed now.  I have LG G8 Android phone.  

I used to get same message when I tried opening a dropbox link in Gmail.  I think I found my issue and it is fixed now.

Every time I clicked the dropbox link, it used to open via Google Drive as default (not asking my for any options)

I went to Settings - Apps & Notifications - App Info - Dropbox - Open by default  

try changing the settings to Open in this app OR Ask Every Time (switch to what is not select from these two)

When I played with these options, and tried to open the link... it asked me if I want to open in Chrome, Dropbox, Drive PDF Viewer.  

When I chose Dropbox or Chrome, no issue

when I chose Drive PDF Viewer, I got same error, so I learned what was causing it.

tondija
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Exactly same as below works with my Mate 20 PRO

desi2p
"my issue is fixed now.  I have LG G8 Android phone.  

I used to get same message when I tried opening a dropbox link in Gmail.  I think I found my issue and it is fixed now.

Every time I clicked the dropbox link, it used to open via Google Drive as default (not asking my for any options)

I went to Settings - Apps & Notifications - App Info - Dropbox - Open by default  

try changing the settings to Open in this app OR Ask Every Time (switch to what is not select from these two)

When I played with these options, and tried to open the link... it asked me if I want to open in Chrome, Dropbox, Drive PDF Viewer.  

When I chose Dropbox or Chrome, no issue

when I chose Drive PDF Viewer, I got same error, so I learned what was causing it."

kiralyanda
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This does not solve the problem, because I have no influence what happens on the receiver's side and would be ridiculous to attach a user manual to every shared pdf file.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kiralyanda New member | Level 2
    tondija Explorer | Level 4
    desi2p New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    FloMan New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?