cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Zoom and Scale Default

Image Zoom and Scale Default

approaching12am
Helpful | Level 6

I've noticed that the default image viewer setting has changed to 100% zoom recently, and I rely heavily on presenting extensive galleries of large images to clients and having the images default to "zoom to fit" was critical.  Now I have to select "zoom to fit" for every single image in a folder when presenting them.  Is there any way to specify a preference for this behavior so my folders load images the same way each time?  This change is making one of the most important features of Dropbox completely unusable for me.

For reference, I first noticed this using Safari 13.1.1, but have tried on multiple browsers and the behavior is the same.

18 Replies 18

approaching12am
Helpful | Level 6

For reference, horizontal images seem to scale automatically, while vertical images default to 100% zoom.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Anonymous, welcome to the Dropbox Community. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to send this! At the moment, there's no way to do what you want to do and apply the settings to all of your files while also keeping the default zoom settings. 

Everyone here at Dropbox loves to know what our customers think, so if you have more comments on this, don't hesitate to let me know. 

We are always trying our best to make your experience memorable.

Thank you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

brianwf
Helpful | Level 6

I'd like to add my vote to this -- images that are previewed on the Dropbox website are not scaling with the browser window size. This is a recent change. Now, photos scale to 100% zoom automatically on Dropbox.

And like approaching12am, this change makes Dropbox ineffective for me. Many photographers, like myself, share folders of photos with clients so they can review. With this change, the client cannot look through a folder of images on Dropbox.com or using their browser, because the photos automatically scale to 100%. The client cannot see the full image unless they click to resize each image individually.

This means that I cannot use Dropbox to share photos with others - clients or otherwise. It is unreasonable to ask someone to browse a folder of photos and resize each photo as they click through the folder of images. Until this is fixed, I will be sending folders of photos via WeTransfer. Really disappointing, Dropbox.

approaching12am
Helpful | Level 6

I understand the concerns of users that find it annoying when small images are stretched when zoom to fit is the default option, but it would be helpful if a script is written that displays images by default at 100% zoom unless they exceed a pre-determined boundary and then display zoomed to fit by default.

I have also had to switch to WeTransfer for client image delivery because Dropbox is unusable for me as a photographer all of a sudden.

LorenNelson
New member | Level 2

This is a really annoying and recent development. For shared images needing to be resized individually to view properly is an unnecessary inconvenience, especially when images opened to fit just fine previously. I'll be looking at other sharing and storage options, as well.

justinhoch
Explorer | Level 4

I agree with this. I'm also a photographer and have shared tens of thousands of photos with clients through dropbox over the years. It's been a fundamental, core part of my business and relies on people being able to quickly scroll through images for review. This automatic zoom-to-100% (and some other UX changes) renders dropbox unusable and compromises years of my work. It's extremely frustrating how far the usability has fallen off. Why are all these functionalities being adjusted without recourse?

brianwf
Helpful | Level 6
Could not agree with you more, @justinhoch

approaching12am
Helpful | Level 6

This really needs to be addressed, or at the very least, explained.

Dropbox is an integral part of a professional photographer's workflow, and it's now completely unusable.

Also, scale to fit is still the default option on the Dropbox app, which is great, but telling clients they can only look through galleries by downloading the app and scrolling through them on their phones is absurd.

schwinga22
New member | Level 2

DROP BOX PLEASE FIX THIS!

I also am a photographer but more importantly I hunt for rugs and it takes me twice as long to sift through my suppliers images because they default to 100% zoom in. This desperately needs to be fixed!!!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GinaO2049 New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    batmacgyver Explorer | Level 3
    brianwf Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?