cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smartsync on all computers ??

Smart sync on all computers ??

exx
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

i have set on my office pc some folders like "online only" - i have copied inside some files and on my office pc size of the folder is 0 (this confirms that all files are really stored in the cloud)

now i open my laptop,  and dropbox starts to syncronyse that folders downloading all files even  i click on the folders and set "online only "also 

how to have that folders online only also in my laptop and in all my pcs ?

as i wrote i have marked folders also in laptop as online only but it seems dropbox ignore it and keep donwloading files

thanks for your help

Luka

19 Replies 19

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If the files are download as local, then there must be an app or service that is attempting to access the files.

Do you go into an app and then navigate to an online-only folder within that app to open a file?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

exx
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

nope...

just opened laptop and dropbox started to synconize ignorig all settings

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey again, @exx

Can you let me know what’s the current syncing status of your desktop app? If it’s not up to date, but still syncing, I’d like you to let it finish syncing first, and then try to make some of your files online-only once more, as a test. 

Does the setting work now or does the app download your files again automatically?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

TB808
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same issue with 2 of my computers. I set the files on computer to online only and in the admin cons. but it keep downloading ALL of drop box items to each computer maxing out my computers mem.

did you ever find a solution??

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Can one of the experts please explain what to do from scratch in this common situation, where a person uses Dropbox alternatively between a desktop and a lower-memory laptop, or a home desktop and an office one?  I'll use my case as an example.  (The documentation is confusing, to say the least.)

I have been keeping video (ipso facto, large) files out of my Dropbox folder to keep them from syncing to my laptop; I used my iMac's Desktop instead.  Then I saw about Backup, which is device-specific, so no chance things will go afield.  Thus are the videos (and other things) more secure now, I'm happy to report.  But then I learned that you can't share items (with a URL link) from within a backed-up folder.  The stated reason is, to keep you from sharing something accidentally!  Nonsense.  Then why allow it from anywhere?  (Now, I suppose there might be people who welcome such a feature, for state secrets or such, but for them there should be a separate function.  Call it Lock and Key, or The Dungeon, or something, but not Backup!)  It seems to me that allowing sharing from folders within Backup would solve the problems that the original poster and other respondents have had, clean as a whistle.

Meanwhile, what do I do?  Say, I have just created a video on my desktop computer, one I want to be able to share by and by.  I do not want it to ever go on my Dropbox-enabled laptop.  But there are many files in my Dropbox folder I do want to sync on both devices.  That is to say, if I modify it on one device, the other will soon sync to that version.  Please talk to me like I'm seven years old.  Many thanks.      

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Norfolk VHF, I hope you’re doing well!

One option I can think of, in this scenario, is to go to the computer on which you don’t want your video file to sync and change your Dropbox app preferences, so that new files that are being added to it by the web/another device sync as online-only automatically. 

You can find the exact steps on how to do this here

After that, you can upload a copy of your video to your Dropbox account from your other device (outside of your backed up folders) and share it with the users you want. 

This way, you can share your file without having it take up space from your second computer.

I hope this helps, but let me know in case I misunderstood something.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks.  Sequestering the oversized files (on my Desktop) the way I did was the best move.  I learned that I can share a given video with Dropbox outside of my Dropbox folder.  Thus will I work ad hoc.  I now have the URL I wanted and can share it with a specific person, who can even watch it right there on Dropbox's player!  I have my master copy of the video; it is backed up now for safety on DB's Backup; but I also now have the option of sharing it to a selected audience; all with no chance it can make its way into my laptop.  It's an extra step, though, and I still think they should make stuff in a Backup folder shareable directly.  

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

To answer Nancy:  except for oversized video or wav/aif audio files, I want everything on my desktop available on my laptop.  If I edit on one computer, it updates the same file on the other.  That is one of DB's most valuable features.  I believe that if I followed your suggestion, I would lose that functionality, at least with new files.  Please correct me if I am mistaken. 

As I have said in every posting here, if they just made Backup files shareable, all these issues would disappear, because it is device-specific. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Norfolk VHF, if the files are marked as online-only, then you'd see the name of the file in your Dropbox folder, but it physically wouldn't take up any space on your laptop. Local files however, would sync normally.

You could also use selective sync (which is device specific) to prevent entire folders to sync to your device, so if the large videos are there, you could use the desktop app to prevent them from syncing to your laptop.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Both respondents are linking to documentation which, as I said at the beginning, we find inscrutable.  And if so many people are having problems, it is doubtless because they failed to implement some necessary step correctly.  We need guidance as found in one of those YouTube how-to videos! 

Need more support?