cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Period for Smart Sync

Time Period for Smart Sync

Benjo1216
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

Is there a way to adjust the time period for smart sync to 'unload' files back to online only?

we have some large projects and files that may not be touched for a few months and we keep having to download them again.    As we work out on remote sites using mobile data, this can chew up our data limit quickly.

It would be good as an admin to be able to set some Team folders or sub folders as 1 week while other are set to something like 6 months. 

Thanks 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

DV87
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

there’s not a specific period of time over which the Dropbox app converts your files automatically to online-only.

Thanks @Nancy ... I'm honestly just not sure I believe this. The Dropbox app must have some method to determine that downloaded files and/or folders haven't been accessed for while... Maybe it's not a super-specific interval or "countdown" timer, but I was just hoping for a bit more detail on how this feature works. Thanks anyway!

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Benjo1216, thanks for dropping by!

Although there isn't currently an option to set when a file or folder becomes local again, you can suggest it, here

There, like-minded users can comment and upvote your idea. 

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions in the meantime. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DV87
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Out of curiosity, how long is the default time period before Dropbox makes inactive files / folders online-only again?

Personally, I'd prefer if my Dropbox would never automatically offload files that I've specifically chosen to download. If I want to offload files / folders later, I'm more than happy to do it manually. Actually... Based on my Smart Sync preferences (screenshot below), it seems like files I've downloaded shouldn't be getting automatically offloaded... But they are. Can you shed any light on why this might be?

DV87_0-1666721057581.png

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DV87 wrote:

Personally, I'd prefer if my Dropbox would never automatically offload files that I've specifically chosen to download.

Mark them as Available Offline and they'll never switch back to Online-only.

Based on my Smart Sync preferences (screenshot below), it seems like files I've downloaded shouldn't be getting automatically offloaded... But they are. Can you shed any light on why this might be?

Make sure you've marked those files at Available Offline. If they started out as Online-only files, then they'll remain as such (or in the temporary state if you open them) until you mark them as Available Offline.

DV87
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks so much for the reply! Can you be more specific about the procedure I should use to "mark" files as "Available Offline?" I always thought that's what I was doing by right-clicking my files in Finder and choosing "Make available offline" (see screenshot below) — but I noticed one folder in particular that got offloaded at some point within the last 3 weeks or so. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong? 🙂

Thanks again!

DV87_0-1666727412214.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @DV87!

The process you're following is indeed correct.

Have you tried to quit the Dropbox app and then relaunch it, to see if that changes the behavior you're seeing?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DV87
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks. It's not a huge issue for me, but I'll give that a try.

Out of curiosity: If I were to turn on "Save hard drive space automatically" and mark a folder to be "available offline," exactly how long would that folder need to be inactive before Dropbox would automatically offload it, making it "online only" again?  I assume there's some sort of countdown timer that resets every time a file inside such a folder is accessed locally... Since that duration can't currently be customized, I'm just wondering how long it is.

Thanks again for your insight!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @DV87, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in, as well. 

From what I know, there’s not a specific period of time over which the Dropbox app converts your files automatically to online-only. In general, this can happen after a few months of inactivity (if you don’t access a specific file, for example).

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DV87
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

there’s not a specific period of time over which the Dropbox app converts your files automatically to online-only.

Thanks @Nancy ... I'm honestly just not sure I believe this. The Dropbox app must have some method to determine that downloaded files and/or folders haven't been accessed for while... Maybe it's not a super-specific interval or "countdown" timer, but I was just hoping for a bit more detail on how this feature works. Thanks anyway!

Pookeyblow
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Where do I find the "save hard drive space automatically" option? I've looked everywhere and I can't find it. I'm on a M1 Mac (macOS Monterey 12.1).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

yoyoyoyoyo27 Helpful | Level 5
    Pookeyblow Collaborator | Level 8
    DV87 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?