cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: help !!

Unable to open files synced to computer

Clangdon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi - 

I've been using dropbox for a few  months now and it has been aweseome - 

I've got a distributed team of 10 people working across the country - and we've been sharing files on Dropbox without issue until a couple of days ago. 

Suddnely, and for reasons I don't understand, no one is able to open files.  I thought it was me or my machine or my software .... but I'm getting the same reports from across the country that people are no longer able to open files stored on Dropbox.  

Everyone is getting the same error message and calling ME to fix the problem and i don't know what to do - 

The file “PDLogo_AnalyticsTag.png” could not be opened.

It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

Everythting was working fine until Friday or Saturday - when suddently file-opening stopped workiong. 

Please help !!!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Clangdon, I’m sorry to hear you are still experiencing this issue and thank you for the additional information.

Try quitting the Dropbox application by using the steps below:

• Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac/Linux)
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox"

You may want to check other applications or components of your Operating System that could be causing this. If the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application.

Let me know how it goes!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

35 Replies 35

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
 Hey Clangdon

Welcome to our Forum & thanks for checking in with us here on this inquiry! 

• Firstly, let’s locate the source of the discrepancy. Are you having this issue only when previewing the file or locally, too? Do you all get the same error message? 
  • Additionally, I’d appreciate it if you included a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you’re seeing in your next message here, so that we check the case & send over the most relevant next steps. 
I’ll be awaiting your next reply & I’m wishing you a lovely week ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Clangdon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thank you  Jane ! 

yes everyone is getting the same error messate.  Mac, PC, everyone. 

we've all been using Dropbox for a few months and eveything was fine until a couple of days ago - and now i'm getting people calling me saying they can no longer open the files stored on DropBox 

Clangdon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i've got a screenshot for you but can't get it to you as this message board will not accept it ???

Clangdon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i'm not able to get you the screen shot - but the error messages are the same - 

"the file .... cannot be opened" ... it may be damged or use a file format Preview doesn't recognize"

i've had 10 people working with this system for 4 months and have never had an issue until a few days ago - 

please help !!! 

Clangdon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 7.28.06 PM.png

Clangdon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

is there a phone number i can call???

this is a serious problem.  since february, its all been good.  peeople have been sharing files using dropbox.  

now, suddenly, no one can open the files that have been stored on dropbox - and now everyone is pissed ... at ME 😞 !!!

can we open the files if i upgrade to "premium" ???  I am desperate and would do almost anything to make dropbox start working again.  

my team has a HUGE deadline Friday and are really really f*d if i can't get this thing to start working again - 

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Clangdon, I’m sorry to hear you are still experiencing this issue and thank you for the additional information.

Try quitting the Dropbox application by using the steps below:

• Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac/Linux)
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox"

You may want to check other applications or components of your Operating System that could be causing this. If the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox application.

Let me know how it goes!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Clangdon, hope you're doing great!

Just checking back with you, have you tried quiting Dropbox app following the steps provided?

Additionally, I ran a small search on my end and I was able to locate your open request on our system which is being handled by a higher level of Support. 

In case you have any further inquiries, let me know here and I'll check back with you.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

kajakiem
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, 

I actually have same problem as Clangdon described. I tried quitting Dropbox, it does not help. When I download files from Dropbox - then I can open them and they look just fine. The problem is with those that are syncornized. I can not Preview any of them, those that I worked on 4 days ago are working after opening them, but older ones ar enot. It looks like synchronizing is damaging files? This is the message window I get: Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.02.19.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.06.25.png

Need more support?