cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open files synced to computer

Unable to open files synced to computer

Clangdon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi - 

I've been using dropbox for a few  months now and it has been aweseome - 

I've got a distributed team of 10 people working across the country - and we've been sharing files on Dropbox without issue until a couple of days ago. 

Suddnely, and for reasons I don't understand, no one is able to open files.  I thought it was me or my machine or my software .... but I'm getting the same reports from across the country that people are no longer able to open files stored on Dropbox.  

Everyone is getting the same error message and calling ME to fix the problem and i don't know what to do - 

The file “PDLogo_AnalyticsTag.png” could not be opened.

It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

Everythting was working fine until Friday or Saturday - when suddently file-opening stopped workiong. 

Please help !!!!!

35 Replies 35

kajakiem
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Also, while synchronizing some files got "._" in the middle of them. Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.29.19.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.29.19.png

kajakiem
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, 

I actually have same problem as Clangdon described (https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Unable-to-open-files-synced-to-computer/m-p/277271#M11...). I tried quitting Dropbox, it does not help. When I download files from Dropbox - then I can open them and they look just fine. The problem is with those that are syncornized. I can not Preview any of them, those that I worked on 4 days ago are working after opening them, but older ones ar enot. It looks like synchronizing is damaging files? This is the message window I get: 

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.02.17.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.02.19.png

Also while downloading some of them get "_." in the middle of name file, so I need to manually change them after.

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 11.29.19.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @kajakiem - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

As you can see, I moved your post under the thread you had quoted in your second post; merely to keep things neat around our Community.

As per the matter at hand now, kindly note that the issue you're seeing is a Mac issue that occurs when copying files with extended attributes metadata into a file system that doesn't support them. Depending on the information stored in the metadata, you may or may not need these files.

These files are called AppleDouble files and more information on how to handle them can be found by searching for:  "apple double files"

To avoid this issue if you have your Dropbox folder on an external drive, we usually recommend ensuring that the drive is formatted in the default file system format for the Operating System that is installed.

Formatting drives may cause data to be deleted. Please consult resources from your Operating System's manufacturer for steps and recommendations on formatting drives to a different file system. The most common default file systems are NTFS (Windows), HFS (Mac OS X) or ext4 (Linux).

I hope this information helps you find the culprit and please keep us posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

kajakiem
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I still have same problem, I can not open files that are syncronized. When I download them they are fine, I can open them. 

AI files are having problems with Text Import. 

PDF files are just not to open.

Indd files can not open.

etc...Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 13.15.40.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-12 at 13.16.20.pngScreen Shot 2019-11-12 at 13.17.34.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to hear this persists @kajakiem. Let's have a look now!

Could you let me know if those files are synced locally to your device or if they happen to be set to 'Online Only' via your desktop app's Smart Sync settings? You can verify this by checking your files' syncing status icons if needed. 

Also, is your desktop app showing 'Up to date' when performing those actions?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

kajakiem
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello @Walter 

thank you for quick response,

yes, problem concerns only-online files. How do I switch them to files that I can use?

Bests,

kajakiem
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am looking for information on only-online files, because I can not open them in any program, I need to download them to my computer first. I was wondering how do I turn "only-online" files into normal dropbox files that I can edit from my computer.

My desktop app is showing 'Up to date' when performing those actions.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @kajakiem

Online only files are shown locally and you should be able to edit them. You can see how they should look like here

To switch all your files to "Local" just select all your folders with your mouse. :mouse_three_button:

Right click (or control click for Mac) > Smart Sync> and "Local". Then your files will start syncing and when syncing is completed you will have the local green checkmarks instead of the gray cloud icons on your desktop. :white_check_mark: :wink:

Let me know how this worked for you. 

Fiona
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

kajakiem
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Where should I do it? In Finder? There is Smart Sync option there...Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 13.05.31.png

kajakiem
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

And I can not open or edit any files that are "only-online". Please, see what I wrote above, on Tuesday last week.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

aerouser Explorer | Level 3
    Josekun Explorer | Level 4
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
    marshallajonesj Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?