cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open files synced to computer

Unable to open files synced to computer

Clangdon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi - 

I've been using dropbox for a few  months now and it has been aweseome - 

I've got a distributed team of 10 people working across the country - and we've been sharing files on Dropbox without issue until a couple of days ago. 

Suddnely, and for reasons I don't understand, no one is able to open files.  I thought it was me or my machine or my software .... but I'm getting the same reports from across the country that people are no longer able to open files stored on Dropbox.  

Everyone is getting the same error message and calling ME to fix the problem and i don't know what to do - 

The file “PDLogo_AnalyticsTag.png” could not be opened.

It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

Everythting was working fine until Friday or Saturday - when suddently file-opening stopped workiong. 

Please help !!!!!

35 Replies 35

kajakiem
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I don't have plus account paired with a Business. Should I still do the same?

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes please!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

marshallajonesj
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hahah. This is NOT a solution.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @marshallajonesj!

Have a nice week. :coffee:

Sorry to hear the suggestions here did not work for you. Let me know which of the steps offered here you've tried and I will help you with the next steps to the solution. 

Thanks! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Josekun
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Why does Dropbox says SOLVED. It is NOT solved. It keeps happening. LIARS

A company you can't trust. 

aerouser
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

For anyone who makes it to the end of this thread and is still stuck, here is what I did to fix this problem on Mac.

In my case this seems to be related to the "Smart Sync" feature being partially active, even though I did not turn it on and it clearly stated in the Dropbox app that Smart Sync was turned off.

Even though I did not turn it on, Smart Sync was creating empty files with the same names as my real files instead of actually downloading them. When you double-click on these files Dropbox is supposed to understand what they are, and then automatically download, or "Smart Syncs", the file from the server. However, since Smart Sync was not actually turned on it gets all confused and just sees them as corrupted files.

To fix this I had to:

1) Turn Smart Sync on - This required me to allow it in the Mac security center and then reboot my system for some reason

2) Change all of my folders from "Smart Sync" to local by right clicking on them and changing the smart sync setting

This seems to be working now and I can use preview to look at images etc. Hopefully it works for you and Dropbox can track down where this bug is ultimately coming from.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

aerouser Explorer | Level 3
    Josekun Explorer | Level 4
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
    marshallajonesj Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?