cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

turn off Dropbox advertising prompts?

turn off Dropbox advertising prompts?

Lorelei P.
Helpful | Level 6

How can I turn off these prompts? I've gone through my notification settings on my desktop and online settings, and can't seem to turn off some of the Dropbox  prompts that I'm continuing to get thru my desktop Dropbox notifications. These include:

- try Dropbox Business

- you can change how you store files you're not using regularly

how can I get rid of these??

17 Replies 17

holsteto
New member | Level 2

I get these annoying banners, whenever i click the dropbox icon.

20210125-2125_DropBox_Banner.PNG

Where is the option to opt-out or disable in-app advertisement for ever?

There is a dropbox.com website for stuff like this. Why is there a need to annoy paying users with additional advertisement?

Is it not contrary to all your other advertisements and especially your mission:

"Our mission is to design a more enlightened way of working"

Is in-app advertisement part of the "enlightened way"? I surely hope not.

Please disable in-app advertisements.

I guess you got too many greedy people in your marketing team. The best option would probably be to get rid of these people who suggested in-app advertisement for paying customers, without providing an option to opt-out. Much better then losing paying customers, plus, you can keep your mission running.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @ , thanks for checking in with us and for your feedback!

Although there isn't currently a way to turn these promotional notifications off, I was able to find this thread, where users have expressed their interest in something similar. 

If this doesn't cover it, you can always start a new thread by posting your idea, here

I know this might not be much, but I hope it helps to some extent. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Vesurax
New member | Level 2

Please stop showing us these in-app notifications like "Keep your password safe" and "Camera backups" etc. I pay premium for using Dropbox efficiently, I know exactly what I want from it and I don't need these suggestions EVER TIME I OPEN THE APP. Please, make them go away for good.

Rich S
New member | Level 2

It's a shame that these exist.

I'm seeing more and more that people (myself included) are turning off all notifications to avoid this spam--something that should always, always, be opt-in. This hurts productivity, especially in a collaborative environment, and is pushing users to other solutions like Google Drive and OneDrive. One company I work with stopped using Dropbox altogether because of this.

I'd be very surprised to learn that successful upsell from invasive desktop notifications alone offsets the loss of users and loss of goodwill among those that remain due to their use. I'm also be surprised if this dissatisfaction didn't increase exponentially with the current focus on privacy.

trinsic
New member | Level 2

This is a shady practice, to hide drobox advertisements behind drobox program specific alert notifications. I believe this is illegal. Cease and Desist this practice ASAP.

samiam9503
Helpful | Level 5

It's deeply rotten to continue ads for paying customers outside of times we already interact with the company (renewal emails, before logging on, etc.). Digital lives are our real lives. These notification ads are like tapping our shoulder at random times a day and whispering in our ear "Wanna buy more?". You wouldn't do it to a friend at the office. You'd be fired. Why us? It calls into question your personal moral compasses, professing to be a company built for productivity but hypocritically prioritizing slight profit.

A shift is looming online, away from endless distracting ads. Be on the right side, or... frankly... we'll hate you. We'll leave you. Some else will do it better. And at the speed of light, these days.   

swotperderder
Explorer | Level 4

sooooooryy you can't stop us advertising to you... sucks for you i guess.. i'll pass it to our dev team... 

*mod marks own response as accepted answer.

Well good for you db, you're demolishing bridges and turning long-term customers into enemies

Dudley C.
New member | Level 2

I second this request. I am paying annually for a business account and keep getting interrupted with chat requests and ad banners. This is NOT productive!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Dudley C. New member | Level 2
    swotperderder Explorer | Level 4
    samiam9503 Helpful | Level 5
    trinsic New member | Level 2
    Rich S New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?