cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop App Notifications not taking me to comments...

Desktop App Notifications not taking me to comments...

denwahwoo
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all,

In the last week, any new notifications I get for comments on a shared file, still show in my app (taskbar pop-up) but when I double-click the notification, it takes me to the shared file but NO comments are visible (other elements of page missing too).

However, If I right click on the file being commented on in my local dropbox folder, and select view file online, it views great and I can see the comments. This has been working perfect for a long time and has only recently just changed and its very frustrating and time consuming now to see comments as I can't click on the notification.

Windows 10 system, Using Firefox (as I always have) so any ideas? Ive reinstalled the app, logged in and out of Dropbox. Everything else working fine!

Thanks in advance.

17 Replies 17

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @denwahwoo, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you clear your browser's cache and let us know how it goes?

If the issue persists, you could also try another browser or a private browsing window, with no extensions or plugins running.

In any case, please keep us posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

denwahwoo
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, Ive tried clearing browser cache and deleting the 2 plugins I had running. Ive also tried refreshing Firefox and reinstalling Firefox too, all to no avail. I also tried it it Edge, totally untouched as I dont use it. I even changed my default browser to edge and tried again, still nothing...

First screenshot here is the blank link from the Notifications by double-clicking in system tray dropbox app on the comment notification... the second image is if I go into my DB folder and right-click the shared file "View on dropbox.com" shared, which works perfectly.

screenshot_notificationLINK-blank.jpgscreenshot_directLINK-perfect.jpg

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @denwahwoo, thanks for the added info! 

Can you let me know which version of our app you use on your end? 

In order to find this, you can locate your Dropbox icon. It would be on your task bar, next to your WiFi and hover your mouse there. That should give you some numbers. Can you share them with me? 

Also, did you notice this behavior on specific file types, or is it not consistent? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

denwahwoo
Explorer | Level 3

HI @Megan,

yes of course, those numbers are 169.4.5684

denwahwoo
Explorer | Level 3

@HI again @Megan,

Most of our shared files are PDFs but it happens on ALL filetypes. I had updated my app recently as I thought it may be that issue. Im now thinking that maybe the other people that comment on shared files havent updated their app which may be causing the issue? Ive asked them to tell me the version number they have too...

thanks for your help

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @denwahwoo, keep us updated with their version apps as well for us to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

denwahwoo
Explorer | Level 3

@Jayof course. I did ask and the main other user and they have the same app version as me, but they never use it, they only use dropbox online / web version, as do the rest of the users, but that has always been the way and its always worked for all of us.

I am normally fully conversant with using a PC, the apps, updating and fault finding etc but this one has stumped me! as I didnt knowingly change anything!

One thing that does stand out to me though, is the full file address when looking at the shared file from the 2 options...

from option "view on dropbox.com" in my dropbox local folder with the file, takes me direct to the online file...
https://www.dropbox.com/preview/ParentFoldername%20first%20last/folder%20name/next%20folder%20name/f...

or by double-clicking the notification of the comment in the desktop app takes me to...

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/ParentFoldername%20first%20last/folder%20name/next%20folder%20name/f... which is the same BUT with an added long string of letters after...
"?dl=0&r=AB0TGsvPxCp9Q7DsKiKBFo0rPJNB6kw blah blah....#comment_id=pid_comments:AAA.....blah blah....trISJO" (about 4x longer than this!)

I want to be able to just click the notification again to take me to the file WITH the comments!

thank you all in advance

Jay
Dropbox Staff

In the first image you posted earlier in this thread, there doesn't seem to be any Dropbox logos at all. Which URL is this one pointing, the longer or shorter one you gave just now?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

denwahwoo
Explorer | Level 3

@Jaythe "blank" screen shot is the one from double-clicking the notification in the app and it is the LONG one.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BenDBX Community Manager
    denwahwoo Explorer | Level 3
    KaleJF New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?