cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open/start Dropbox after reinstalling

Can't open/start Dropbox after reinstalling

Boo S
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, 

I'm having serious problems reinstalling Dropbox to get myself out of the beta testing. I've managed to reinstall a stable version but now the app refuses to open/start. Please, help. I've copy-pasted the error message below. Thanks so much in advance. I use a Macbook Pro. 😕

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 142.4.4197
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 52
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: cbf687e4-57aa-5a00-b308-54a59d4298c1
pid: 24450
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='boo', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='BOO', pw_dir='/Users/boo', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='boo', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='BOO', pw_dir='/Users/boo', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'boo', '_xcsbuildagent', '_nsurlstoraged', '_xcscredserver'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'boo', '_xcsbuildagent', '_nsurlstoraged', '_xcscredserver'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/boo'
appdata: '/Users/boo/.dropbox/instance1'
real_path='/Users/boo/.dropbox/instance1'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/boo/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/boo/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
not found
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/nk/ymfz_h5942q9d7gw4qxl94g40000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/nk/ymfz_h5942q9d7gw4qxl94g40000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5524, in _setup_root_for_account
File "dropbox/sync_root/helpers.pyc", line 141, in get_root_for_account
File "dropbox/foundation/futures/basic.pyc", line 847, in result
File "dropbox/sync_root/handlers/macos/file_provider.pyc", line 115, in set_result_or_convert_exception
dropbox.mac.internal.MacError: [Errno -2001] Error Domain=NSFileProviderErrorDomain Code=-2001 "No valid file provider found with identifier com.getdropbox.dropbox.fileprovider/af690a6e-f005-44f8-a305-3e7f2c90d86e." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=No valid file provider found with identifier com.getdropbox.dropbox.fileprovider/af690a6e-f005-44f8-a305-3e7f2c90d86e.}

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Boo S,

To get out of beta testing, you have to turn your early releases off and reinstall the latest stable release and nothing else! Shouldn't even do any change to your Dropbox folder position by hand (something you have done 🤷). If you want to change the place where Dropbox resides on, you should perform this through Dropbox preferences, so the application would be able find the folder (something not the case now). The simplest thing you can do is get back the folder to the position before you have moved it (i.e. inside folder /Users/boo/Library/CloudStorage) and move to wherever you want after that (once the application works and using the Preferences as I mentioned).

If the above doesn't do the trick for you, try clear out your current settings and set them anew (including linking to your account anew). Don't forget to point the new Dropbox folder position on first launch. Actual clearance can be performed using following command in terminal:

rm -rf ~/.dropbox

Now you can run your application and restore the proper preferences. 😉

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @Boo S,

To get out of beta testing, you have to turn your early releases off and reinstall the latest stable release and nothing else! Shouldn't even do any change to your Dropbox folder position by hand (something you have done 🤷). If you want to change the place where Dropbox resides on, you should perform this through Dropbox preferences, so the application would be able find the folder (something not the case now). The simplest thing you can do is get back the folder to the position before you have moved it (i.e. inside folder /Users/boo/Library/CloudStorage) and move to wherever you want after that (once the application works and using the Preferences as I mentioned).

If the above doesn't do the trick for you, try clear out your current settings and set them anew (including linking to your account anew). Don't forget to point the new Dropbox folder position on first launch. Actual clearance can be performed using following command in terminal:

rm -rf ~/.dropbox

Now you can run your application and restore the proper preferences. 😉

Hope this helps.

Boo S
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi @Здравко, thanks so much for your reply. I already deleted the folder and I tried accessing CloudStorage folder (it's automatically hidden file by the system) – but I couldn't access it and the folder looks empty. I can't bring back the Dropbox folder since I've deleted it, is there a way to install the app so that it downloads the file from the Dropbox cloud storage again? Please do advise, thanks so much.

All best,

Boo

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

The change to the ~/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox location is already happening for some users not on beta. It is coming to all Mac users on macOS 12.3 or later.

Dropbox Location change to ~/Library/CloudStorage on Macs 

The support staff on the Dropbox forums don't seem to be aware of the change.

ZACKMASKELL
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Kepp getting a mesage that comes up saying I have a permissions error and cant start the app for drop box up? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ZACKMASKELL, welcome to our Community! 

In order for me to further investigate, I'll need to get and analyze the full error log that corresponds to the error message pop-up you're getting.

You can obtain the full text of the error by clicking on the blue link within the error message pop-up. This will open a file with the full text of the error. Could you send it back to me?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ZACKMASKELL
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Megan thanks for you response here is the error:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 161.4.4923
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 56
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 51b5e198-7d76-5519-970c-ecf115dccfca
pid: 1486
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='zackmaskell', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Zack Maskell', pw_dir='/Users/zackmaskell', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='zackmaskell', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Zack Maskell', pw_dir='/Users/zackmaskell', pw_shell='/bin/zsh')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/zackmaskell'
appdata: '/Users/zackmaskell/.dropbox/instance2'
real_path='/Users/zackmaskell/.dropbox/instance2'
dropbox_path: '/Volumes/P54_drive/P54 Creative Dropbox'
real_path='/Volumes/P54_drive/P54 Creative Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40775 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/bw/d8cgyr2d1v9gsln1n2j6ldww0000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/bw/d8cgyr2d1v9gsln1n2j6ldww0000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 806, in wrapper
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 6261, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox/client/message_queue.pyc", line 306, in _wrapped
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5788, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5712, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine_boundary/factory.pyc", line 225, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/sync_engine.pyc", line 244, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/modern_client.pyc", line 280, in __init__
File "dropbox/sync_engine/nucleus/classic_client/modern_client/base.pyc", line 190, in __init__
File "dropbox/fs_api/lifecycle.pyc", line 192, in __init__
File "dropbox/fs_api/lifecycle.pyc", line 206, in _create_thin_client
File "dropbox/fs_api/fs_api_adapter.pyc", line 50, in __init__
File "desktop/extensions/fs_api/fs_api_python.pyx", line 63, in fs_api_python.FsApiServer.__cinit__
fs_api_python.FsApiError: "Initializing fs api |>> Initializing platform |>> Opening worker root directory |>> open syscall |>> Permission denied"

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @ZACKMASKELL, sorry to jump in here, but could you perform a clean, advanced reinstall and let us know how it goes? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ZACKMASKELL
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi walter, 

I have done a advanced uninstall and reinstalled and i am still having the same error coming up, i am able to use the web version but the app version is not allowing me in at all, this error has come out the blue on Monday morning and i am unsure why?

ZACKMASKELL
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Actually i googled a way to sort it and have now been able to get in, thank you all for you help!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Esteban B.2 New member | Level 2
    cfb1 Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?