cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot log in to Dropbox anymore

Cannot log in to Dropbox anymore

sepide
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there,

Since migrating to a new Mac (via Time Machine) I can no longer log in to Dropbox in the Mac app. I put my username and password, then type in the code sent to me by email, and it fails without giving any meaningful error code. I've tried this multiple times, and the result is the same. Basically, I can't use Dropbox anymore until this is solved.

24 Replies 24

Colin C.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me.

I can't send screen shots as the problem fixed itself.

I've no idea why DropBox took time to get used to my drive being replace by an SSD, but when I clicked on it today it just logged in as normal, with no need for a p/w. I think an SSD is a shock to bits of the system as half my custom icons were missing yesterday and over-night all but one have rebuilt themselves.

Thanks again, Colin

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Awesome news @Colin C.16!

If you need anything else, you know where to find us! 😊

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Colin C.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I was too confident!

DB was fine on iOS/iPadOS and on my Mac I could open the folder - but I just realised there is no DB icon in the menu bar and when I try to open the app, rather than the folder, I get this:

Screenshot 2023-05-24 at 18.41.59.png

My records show I signed in with my personal domain email, not gmail, but when I click on the Forgot passworkd link I get a recovery page in Chrome, but I still get no reset p/w email.

Cheers, Colin

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Colin C.16, it might sound trivial but are you sure you're entering the email correctly there? 

If so, please add no-reply@dropbox.com to your email's contacts/address book and repeat the steps to reset your password.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Colin C.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Now I am home I'm no wiser. I have tried an alternative email to log in and still get no email for a p/w reset. FWIIW my phone show my log in email to be the one I had been trying.

On my Mac I can open the Dropbox folder in Finder but items I added from iOS while away do not appear.

I am still signed in on my phone but when I tried the password associated with the account on my phone it said it did not recognise the email address it was already showing and/or the p/w that I could reveal. I also know the email is correct as if I try to set up a new account with it I am told it is already taken. no-reply@dropbox.com is in my Contacts.

I used the option in iOS to add Dropbox to a computer and re-installed but it make no difference. The menu bar icon remains greyed out and when I click on it it says endlessly 'Waiting to be linked to a Dropbox account'.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Colin C.16, have you ensured that you've not connected more than 3 devices to your account, if you're on the Basic plan as you might be hitting your device limit?

If that's  not the case, you can try installing the desktop app anew from this page directly. 

You can also temporarily disable any antivirus or firewalls you might have running on your computer.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Colin C.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Walter, but that's the version I re-installed just before my last post, and it just gives me the same flat refusal to log in.

I have just three devices using Dropbox, the two iOS ones are fine, my Mac has not logged in since my mechanical drive was replaced by an SSD. No other logins were impaired.

Why would AV be a problem? The issue is that Dropbox won't send me a p/w reset to my registered email …

It would be much easier for me to move everything to iCloud Drive as I have plenty of space, but I have one app that only allows Dropbox for cloud storage.

Desperately, Colin

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Colin C.16, is your email on a public email provider, or a private business domain?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Colin C.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It's a private domain, Jay, but aliases to gmail. Cheers, Colin

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you certain that the alias is working correctly, and that no emails are being automatically filtered out by the private domain handler?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Colin C.16 Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?