cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox No Longer Launches - macOS Monterey 12.6.1

Dropbox No Longer Launches - macOS Monterey 12.6.1

foxglove_1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The internal drive which hosts my Dropbox Folder was nearing capacity, so I stopped syncing via the Dropbox menu. I then selected all the folders that I didn't need downloaded to my computer and selected "Make Online Only". After a moment, I was told that the Dropbox Helper application wasn't responding, and to quit and relaunch Dropbox. So I quit the Dropbox application from the menu, but it would no longer re-launch, stating that there was an error of some sort.

I proceeded to restart my computer, but this did not solve the problem. So I attempted to re-install Dropbox in order to ensure that I had the latest version.

After downloading, the Dropbox Installer attempted to run, but ran into a problem, stating that it couldn't download the program; it asked if I wanted to try a different downloader (this despite the fact that it was in the Install phase of the process). So I downloaded the Dropbox Offline Installer (Dropbox 175.4.5569.dmg). After opening it, the Dropbox menu appears for awhile; opening the menu shows the Starting Up animation. After some time however, it errors out, and states as before that it cannot launch. A text dump is provided, the relevant bit I think being this:

"The executable currently located at file:///private/var/folders/wl/[...]/T/AppTranslocation/[...]/d/Dropbox.app/ is translocated and can't be launched., NSLocalizedDescription=The application cannot be used from this location." (Elipses added by me.)

Obviously I have not moved the application file anywhere, I am merely running the installer. It sounds like a permissions issue, but that is not something that is generally user-addressable these days (Apple removed the "Repair Permissions" option from Disk Utility many years ago).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

foxglove_1
Helpful | Level 6

Performing a manual uninstall and re-installing resulted in Dropbox sort of half-working, but it took a clean OS installation from scratch for it to finally work again, unfortunately.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @foxglove_1, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

When you reinstalled the app, did you uninstall it first, or do the advanced reinstallation?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

foxglove_1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

I did not attempt to uninstall Dropbox first. Since it's now in a broken state, how should I proceed?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the follow-up, @foxglove_1.

First, can you please let us know the current location of your Dropbox folder?

You can find this by right-clicking on a file/folder in your Dropbox folder and then clicking on "get info".

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

foxglove_1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

My Dropbox folder is in the default location: "~/userfolder/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox"

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you provide us with the full error log or message you received when downloading or running the app?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

foxglove_1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Here is the complete log file (with personally identifying bits omitted):

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 175.4.5569
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 61
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: [...]aa9d
pid: 1302
ppid: 1
uid: 501
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='Username', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Username Lastname', pw_dir='/Users/User', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='Username', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=501, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Username Lastname', pw_dir='/Users/Username', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 501
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'macports', '_nsurlstoraged', '_serialnumberd'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'macports', '_nsurlstoraged', '_serialnumberd'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
real_path='/'
mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/Username'
appdata: '/Users/Username/.dropbox/instance18'
real_path='/Users/Username/.dropbox/instance18'
mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
parent mode=0o40700 uid=501 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/Username/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
real_path='/Users/Username/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
parent mode=0o40755 uid=501 gid=20
sys_executable: '/private/var/folders/wl/kwdsqdk91knbmmd_c72c0l9h0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/87FDA27F-F6BC-49F8-8F60-205ABF085E38/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
real_path='/private/var/folders/wl/kwdsqdk91knbmmd_c72c0l9h0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/87FDA27F-F6BC-49F8-8F60-205ABF085E38/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
mode=0o100755 uid=501 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/private/var/folders/wl/kwdsqdk91knbmmd_c72c0l9h0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/87FDA27F-F6BC-49F8-8F60-205ABF085E38/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
real_path='/private/var/folders/wl/kwdsqdk91knbmmd_c72c0l9h0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/87FDA27F-F6BC-49F8-8F60-205ABF085E38/d/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/wl/kwdsqdk91knbmmd_c72c0l9h0000gn/T'
real_path='/private/var/folders/wl/kwdsqdk91knbmmd_c72c0l9h0000gn/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "desktop/dropbox/client/main.py", line 5333, in _setup_root_for_account
File "desktop/dropbox/sync_root/helpers.py", line 514, in get_root_for_account
File "desktop/dropbox/foundation/futures/basic.py", line 857, in result
File "desktop/dropbox/sync_root/handlers/macos/file_provider.py", line 121, in set_result_or_convert_exception
dropbox.mac.internal.MacError: [Errno -2002] Error Domain=NSFileProviderErrorDomain Code=-2002 "The executable currently located at file:///private/var/folders/wl/kwdsqdk91knbmmd_c72c0l9h0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/87FDA27F-F6BC-49F8-8F60-205ABF085E38/d/Dropbox.app/ is translocated and can't be launched." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The executable currently located at file:///private/var/folders/wl/kwdsqdk91knbmmd_c72c0l9h0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/87FDA27F-F6BC-49F8-8F60-205ABF085E38/d/Dropbox.app/ is translocated and can't be launched., NSLocalizedDescription=The application cannot be used from this location., NSURL=file:///private/var/folders/wl/kwdsqdk91knbmmd_c72c0l9h0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/87FDA27F-F6BC-49F8-8F60-205ABF085E38/d/Dropbox.app/}

foxglove_1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi @Jay, @Hannah 

Just checking in if there's any update. I rely on the desktop app for working with colleagues, and using the website version, while functional, is less than ideal.

Thank you!

foxglove_1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Based on advice from other users and elsewhere, I've tried a few things:

- Removed all Dropbox-related files that I could locate from my User/Library folder (and restarted)

- Installed the latest Beta release of Dropbox (176.3.5105 Offline Installer for Intel Macs)
- Signed out of my Dropbox account during the Install/Startup phase via Dropbox -> Preferences, and re-logged in when prompted

Dropbox still fails to start, and now I have a "temporary" Dropbox folder in my Finder Window Favorites comprised of a string of characters (in the form: #X##X###-##XX-##X#-#XXX-#XXX##X##X#)

Repeated attempts continue to fail.

foxglove_1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm still unable to properly launch or use the Dropbox app.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

grrrrdrpbox Explorer | Level 3
    foxglove_1 Helpful | Level 6
    Emmet Community Manager
What do Dropbox user levels mean?