cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox installer (Dropboxinstaller.dmg) fails to launch on Mac OS 12.3.1

Dropbox installer (Dropboxinstaller.dmg) fails to launch on Mac OS 12.3.1

jakdawgus
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Setting up a new MacBook Pro which has a clean install of Monterey. The Dropbox website transmitted a download of the installer (dropboxinstaller.dmg) to my Downloads folder. When I double click it, or right-click/control-click it to open the popup menu and select Open from the menu, the icon briefly looks like it is expanding with the genie effect, but the effect lasts for just a split second and then.... Nothing. No installer window, no objection for being signed or not signed, no information about what is or isn't happening. Just a stone-cold finder window showing the installer file, still right where it was, doing nothing. I am the admin with full permissions on this computer. Under security, about allowing installation of apps, I have selected to allow both app-store apps and apps with a valid signature. Nothing seems to help. It is so weird to just get a blip that sort of looks like a real response, but then nothing actually happens. No processes are seen as "not responding" to force-quit. Really obtuse!! If I go back to the website and select to use the desktop app, first I get a page saying "To get started" and then a big button "Launch Dropbox App" as if it was already installed. Clicking that button, I guess the site realizes it's not installed and says "To get started" and the big button says "Download Dropbox App". Clicking that sometimes does nothing and other times makes another redundant copy of the installer. Just like all the other copies, the installer does not open or launch like a normal .DMG should, no matter how cleverly I try to open it. I have tried modifying every security option short of disabling system integrity protection (god forbid that's what is needed, because really??) What's the deal? How can I install dropbox on this machine? And why won't Dropbox just put the app up in the App Store like so many other successful companies do? It would make it a lot easier, it allows for automatic updates, and (by and large) it actually does the installation without all this fuss. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jakdawgus, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you try downloading the installer from another browser entirely, without any extensions or plugins running?

Keep me updated with any progress.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jakdawgus, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you try downloading the installer from another browser entirely, without any extensions or plugins running?

Keep me updated with any progress.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

jakdawgus
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey there,

Thanks for the tip! I tried pulling the downloader from Chrome and it seemed to work as expected. I was using Safari before. Now am up and running well! Thank you!

-JD 

SDM72
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello there

I have exactly the same issue as the originator of this thread. I've tried both Chrome and Safari and have exactly the same issues. It's a new Macbook Air being setup from scratch. I haven't had the same issue with other downloads. Could you please shed some light?

Thanks

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @SDM72, let's jump right into this! 

Have you tried the offline installer, by any chance? If not, can you give this a go and let me know? 

Also, have you tried downloading using this link directly? 

Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Almarine EC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I am having the exact same problem with a brand new airbook- much to my dismay. I tried safari, chrome, and directly from the link in the most recent post. Nothing is working! I really need to sync this machine asap! Thanks. -Almarine EC

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Almarine EC, let's jump into this real quick! 

Have you tried re-booting your machine, by any chance? 

Do you get any specific errors? What about the offline installer mentioned in my latest reply, have you tried that?

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Seobel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just received a new MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.6

I had the same problem, not able to install the .dmg.

Using Offline Installer (Apple Silicon) worked for me.

Thanks much!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Seobel New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Almarine EC New member | Level 2
    SDM72 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?