cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox keeps asking me to install the MacOS for File Provider update, but it's already installed

Dropbox keeps asking me to install the MacOS for File Provider update, but it's already installed

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

This thing just runs in a cycle! I get a notice that it's available, so I start - it seems like it does a partial reinstall - asks me the re-log in - re-verify folders I am syncing - it says it is moving Dropbox to a new secure location (which seems to be CloudStorage under Library - but it's already there!) - adds Dropbox to the left pane of Finder - and it's already there. It seems to want to add the Finder extensions, but they don't show up - even though Dropbox has Full Disk Access permissions under Files and Folders (Settings/Privacy & Security). When it's done, it still shows this exact same status with a badge on my menu bar:

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 3.57.37 PM.png

Some days I have done this 3 or 4 times - same cycle. I end up just clicking "Not Now" to get rid of this.

Is this broken? Something wrong on my end? It's very annoying!

I am on Dropbox Essentials - MacBook Pro M3 Max - Sonoma 14.3.1 - Dropbox v 193.4.5594

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

Thanks @Nancy , I quit Dropbox and restarted, no sign of it yet I'll let you know here if I encounter any problems!

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to hear this, @donawalt. Let’s have a look. 

What I’d like you to do is open your Dropbox app preferences, and go to your Sync tab. Please send me a screenshot of the Dropbox folder location that shows there.

Also, what’s the current syncing status of your desktop app? 

Let me know, and we’ll take it from there.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

@Nancy thanks for the reply! Here are 2 screen shots, showing the folder location, the request to again do Dropbox for MacOS File Provider, and then showing all files are sync'd:

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 6.37.11 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-02-23 at 6.36.51 PM.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @donawalt, thanks for the info. I'd recommend contacting the support team directly for them to investigate this matter in more detail.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

Thanks @Jay , but no thanks. It's broken, and I don't have time to deal with this. I don't think vendors understand that we have jobs to do, and the last thing I need is spending time on something like this. If you can fix it great. If there is something I can do to fix it, great - let me know. Otherwise, don't put me through a support session, I'll just keep saying "Not now". If it gets too burdensome I'll move on the something else, there are choices. I would strongly suggest submitting this as a problem for your software/engineering group to sort out. Very disappointing that this works so poorly.

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

@Nancy any feedback "Take it from there" from the info I gave you?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi again, @donawalt! What you can perhaps try as an extra step is to quit the Dropbox app, restart your computer, and relaunch Dropbox.

The reason why Jay suggested logging a ticket instead is because, unfortunately, we don’t have account visibility on the forum, so we can’t see details of your Dropbox account that would help us pinpoint what may be happening. 

If what I suggested above doesn’t help still though, let me know and I’ll check if there’s something else that we can try.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9

Thanks @Nancy , I quit Dropbox and restarted, no sign of it yet I'll let you know here if I encounter any problems!

donawalt
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@Nancy you asked me to let you know on this thread if Dropbox started asking again - it's come back

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Dropbox-keeps-asking-me-to-install-the-MacOS-... 

I just said Not Now as I am busy in a project, if it comes back I'll close Dropbox and restart the computer again.

But why does it keep asking me this - I verified the dropbox folder is under the CloudStorage folder as it should be now???

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @donawalt, sorry to see you're still going through this. 

When did this start happening, and which version of our app do you use at the moment? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    donawalt Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?