cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with adding a second account to my desktop

Issues with adding a second account to my desktop

jamainaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I installed the Dropbox app on a new laptop and logged into my business account, which now shows up in file explorer.  I stopped midstream and planned to go back later to add my personal account, but now when I try to open the Dropbox app, the only thing that opens is file explorer with my business account.  Is there a way to go back and add my personal account, or do I need to delete Dropbox from my system and start over?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Okay, none of these would open the app itself. This article should show you where to click.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jamainaz wrote:

... when I try to open the Dropbox app, the only thing that opens is file explorer with my business account.  Is there a way to go back and add my personal account, or do I need to delete Dropbox from my system and start over?

If your business account is an actual Dropbox Business account, you can link your personal and business accounts and sync them both on your computer.

jamainaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks -

So I've gone into my company dropbox and linked my personal dropbox account.  I've restarted my computer but my personal account it not showing in Windows Explorer, which is what I want to happen.  I've followed the instructions from Dropbox to try to locate my personal dropbox in windows explorer but it is not locating it.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jamainaz wrote:

I've followed the instructions from Dropbox to try to locate my personal dropbox in windows explorer but it is not locating it.

Are these the steps you're following? Have you given it enough time to sync?

jamainaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes, I believe I've waited long enough for it to sync.  I've been trying to fix this during the past month.  I've linked, unlinked and relinked several times and waiting multiple days in between, and shut down and restarted my system multiple times.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jamainaz, aside from linking the personal account on the site, did you also sign into the personal account on the Dropbox desktop application preferences?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

jamainaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This is part of the problem.  When I try to open the Drobox App on my system, the app doesn't actually open - what opens is file explorer showing me my organzations dropbox files.  I'd like to be seeing both my organization and my personal.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

How are you opening the app exactly? Are you double clicking the icon in the system tray, or single clicking it? 

Could you try using Ctrl-Click on the icon to then choose the Preferences option?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

jamainaz
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Single, Double and CTRL-Click from my shortcut and from my start menu all open File Explorer but not the App itself.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you clarify where exactly your shortcut is? Are you clicking the Dropbox icon near the clock on the bottom right?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    jamainaz Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?