cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost access to Desktop folder on Mac when I downloaded Dropbox, and now can't access.

Lost access to Desktop folder on Mac when I downloaded Dropbox, and now can't access.

amberprawn
New member | Level 2
I've lost access to the Desktop, Documents and Downloads file on my mac - help??

I just set up a new Dropbox account with a different email. When it asked whether I wanted to sync/back-up Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders, I said no, because when I did this with a previous account, this caused problems. I thought that this would mean that my Desktop files etc would just remain on my hard drive, and I would have a Dropbox folder with things I wanted to back up to the cloud.

But this has caused all the icons to disappear from my Desktop!

Luckily the files are still there when I search for them. When I got to Desktop folder in Finder and click on it, a message says 'The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “Desktop” can’t be found.'

Logging out of Dropbox didn't help.

Help???
44 Replies 44

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @amberprawn, let's jump right into this! 

Can you have a look at these steps, and check if the feature is enabled on your device? If it is, can you disable it? 

Also, feel free to send me some  screenshots of the error you receive on your end, since that'd be interesting to see. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Drpdmc
Explorer | Level 3

Help! Downloaded Dropbox and promptly lost everything on my desktop! I'm using a MacBook Pro with up to date Monterey OS. Now I remember why I previously vowed never to use dropbox again - it steals everything and the customer support is abysmal!

Please help, my desktop items show up under Finder but my desktop screen is blank

Paul

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Drpdmc, I'd be happy to help! 

It seems you might have enabled Computer backup. Can you follow these steps, in order to disable it? 

Let me know how it goes! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

bahartug
New member | Level 2

Hi, couple days ago while i was working on my laptop, out of hell all my desktop and documents was gone. I did nothing but everything disappeared. 

I have a macbook, so a talked about 3 hours now with apple support, and end the end they told me that this is a dropbox problem. 

Alltough I don't use dropbox so often, it is installed on my macbook. On my dropbox itself I have very old data which is just saved there since years. For my laptop I don't have a back up there. 

Nevertheless, now I can open my documents file nor my desktop. I can't save anything there everything is locked. Even the alias. 

As I wrote above, we tried everything and it should be a dropbox problem. I want my data back which deleted themselfes out of nothing.

Kindly,

Bahar

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @bahartug, let's look into this! 

It sounds like you have enabled our Computer Backup at some point, and time. If you check your Backup page online, what do you see there? 

Also, just to make sure we're on the same page, are you now able to see the Documents, Desktop and Downloads paths at their original places on your device? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

bahartug
New member | Level 2

Hi Megan, first of all thank you for helping.

Do you need me to disable the Dropbox Backup? 

Attached I've made some screenshots, where you can see that the desktop is locked. 

In the finder, I can't enable Desktop and Dokuments, also a screenshot.Bild 23.11.22 um 11.18.jpegBild 23.11.22 um 11.18.jpeg

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @bahartug, thank you so much for the screenshots! 

Can I trouble you, and ask what the first screenshot reads?  Also, are you able to see Documents, Desktop and Downloads only in Dropbox or in the original paths on your Mac? 

Also, what do you wish to achieve here? To disable Backup?

Megan
dropbox.com/support

bahartug
New member | Level 2

Hi Megan, sorry for my late reply, I had a workday.

So, attached I have sent you another screenshot. It is the backup page - it is empty and the button says: test dropbox backup

my first screenshot says: The operation could not be completed because the original desktop object was not found.

As I said, I need my documents which are just saved on my macbook. Due to apple support this problem causes dropbox.

best

Bild 23.11.22 um 19.37.jpeg

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @bahartug, sorry to jump in here.

It's not quite clear what you're trying to accomplish; could you clarify if you'd like to enable the Dropbox Backup feature and you're getting an error or if you're trying to disable it instead?

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sadsad Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    BryanmMac Explorer | Level 4
    ak_alpenglow Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?