cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac Migration- Intel to M1. Questions about set-up.

Mac Migration- Intel to M1. Questions about set-up.

warrenmacdonald
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've been reading through the threads here but don't see anything specific to my question/ situation.

Last week I used migration assistant to set up my 2021 BBP M1 Pro that is right now running Ventura (12.5.1 it's a refurbished, hence the older OS, I'll be updating as soon as I get this dropbox situation resolved...).

Upon investigation I've discovered that Apple has required dropbox to be set up in the library rather than on disc C, I get that part (though not happy I've lost all of my selective sync settings and need to start over in that regard).

My question now though is, seeign as I now have the new dropbox folder in the library location, as well as 700gb of files in the old location as migrated from teh old machine, what is the best practice in terms of moving forward?

Do I

A/ Manually drag and drop each folder from C to the new library location?

or

B/ After backing up the folders/ files in C, delete everything and let it populate from the dropbox servers into library?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @warrenmacdonald, let's jump right into this! 

So, let's talk about the migration from your old machine, to the new one and into the new Dropbox for Mac OS. 

If I were you, I'd install the app and allow for it to sync everything. Check that the app's syncing status is 'up to date', then either delete the content from the C drive or keep them as a backup, whatever you'd like.

I wouldn't suggest that you manually drag and drop each folder, in case duplicates were to be created, which we don't want. 

If you have any questions, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @warrenmacdonald, let's jump right into this! 

So, let's talk about the migration from your old machine, to the new one and into the new Dropbox for Mac OS. 

If I were you, I'd install the app and allow for it to sync everything. Check that the app's syncing status is 'up to date', then either delete the content from the C drive or keep them as a backup, whatever you'd like.

I wouldn't suggest that you manually drag and drop each folder, in case duplicates were to be created, which we don't want. 

If you have any questions, let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

warrenmacdonald
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Got it, thanks Megan!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

warrenmacdonald New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?