cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ManagedClient process consumes so much memory it causes a kernel panic

ManagedClient process consumes so much memory it causes a kernel panic

maritimeseven
Explorer | Level 4

Starting about a month ago, the macOS Dropbox app has started consuming an abnormal amount of memory by way of the ManagedClient process. It'll climb to over 10GB of memory (not disk space) and eventually cause the machine to restart itself.

Has anyone else faced this issue? I've verified permissions, uninstalled and reinstalled, enabled and disabled Smart Sync... nothing helps.

15 Replies 15

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey guys (@emclain  & @Dom4), sorry to hear you're facing this issue on your Mac devices. 

Can you please let me know if you've gone through the article I've mentioned in a previous comment? (https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/high-cpu-usage)

Could you also try re-installing our software using the offline installer for our latest stable version as found below and let me know if you're still seeing this behavior? 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-69-4-102/m-p/335356#M5235

Keep me posted fellas!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Dom4
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

Thanks for responding.

I've followed both sets of instructions - but no change in behavior. 

I've also more aggressively utilized selective sync to reduce the volume of files on my machine. It is currently under 250,000 files (it was above to 280,000 before). I've been monitoring the process activity throughout the day and it hasn't made any material difference to the rate at which RAM increases. 

Thanks,

Dom

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information Dom  - much appreciated!

We've passed your comments to your existing ticket so we can have all the relevant information under the same place.  I can also see that a member of our team has responded with some additional troubleshooting steps for you.

Spoiler
If you're not seeing their email, I'd suggest checking with your Team's admin for further details. 

I still don't believe this is coming from us but let's see what our experts have to say first!

In any case, please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tim P.9
New member | Level 2

Have there been any follow ups or anyone else experiencing this?  

I found this thread after seeing unusual memory usage by ManagedClient, and also found that it cleared up after quitting dropbox. 

Running v 85.4.1.55, I reviewed the link shared about high memory and CPU and it doesn't seem anything pertains to my environment.  I just tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and will see if the issue comes up again. 

I saved a sample of the ManagedClient process before this was done, and backed up the dropbox debug log, which just showed some expected DNS errors the previous day but nothing else useful.  Let me know if you would like anything, and I'll follow up if the issue exists again. 

Tim P.9
New member | Level 2

I noticed that a new ManagedClient thread was running after starting the reinstalled version, and it was consuming about a 100KB every couple of seconds. 

I also noticed that a lot of the files on my sync'ed folder locally were not showing up correctly.  text files couldn't be cat'ed out on the command line or opened in a text editor even though the size of the files show correctly on my mac, and the files on the cloud are correct. 

Only a couple of recent files that I've put into Dropbox from that client are valid. all older files are corrupted. 

I'm going to leave the local environment in this state and interact with the cloud as I need files for a little bit and see if you guys want any more info. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report @Tim P.9.

As you've done some troubleshooting already - great job by the way - I'll have to ask you to try to repro this issue on a brand new OS profile on your Mac device to see if this is somehow related to your user profile.

To do this, please create a brand new local Operating System user profile with administrator rights in which we'll try to reproduce the behavior, by following these steps: 

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18891   

Once the new user profile is created, please log in to this new user profile and install the latest version of Dropbox from here:  

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?build=85.4.155&plat=mac&type=full 

Enter your username and password when prompted.

During the installation process you can use Selective Sync preferences to download only some of the folders that your account has in order to test how the application behaves in this newly created profile.

If you were not able to run the Dropbox desktop application correctly without ManagedClient in the newly created profile, please let me know Tim!

Oh, and welcome to our Community :penguin:

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Tim P.9 New member | Level 2
    Dom4 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?