cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

Move Dropbox folder to removable drive?

David S.266
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have an Intel Compute Stick with very little storage on the device itself. I tried to move my Dropbox folder to a microSD card installed in my Intel Compute Stick but I got an error message from Dropbox because the microSD card is removable. Is there any way of overriding this, so that I can put my Dropbox folder on my microSD card?

75 Replies 75

joonylee
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Adam! Awesome!

Cyron
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox is useless crap because of this restriction. I don't want shady workarounds, I want a built in option that lets me freely choose a location on any removable drive. It's just remarkable that Dropbox still exists. I have seen much better applications come and go.
Oh and btw, those ever popping up badge notifications are annoying af. I don't give a **bleep** about your badges.

intuitivefox
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I did all of this and it's still saying "To sync your Drpobox, move your Dropbox folder to a partition with a compatible File System. Dropbox is compatible with NTFS."

Then the options are "OK" or "System Requirements" 

I am trying to move it to a 512 GB SD Card and I'm using Windows 10. 

Many thanks. 

Cyron
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Why is this thread marked as solved? Dropbox still can't do what we're asking for!

apmessner
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I tried doing this repeatedly with limited success. I ended up just upgrading my hard drive. It cost under $100 and took about an hour. Well worth it.

Morpheus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Simple. I have an existing "Dropbox" folder located in my User folder (default location).

My SD Card is labled E:\ and I want my "Dropbox" folder to be moved to my SD Card (E:\)

In Disk Management change the drive letter of the SD Card from E:\ to X:\

Create a small partition using Disk Management on a non-removable drive and label it E:\, and format it.

I now use Dropbox to move my "Dropbox" folder to the new drive E:\

Once Dropbox has completed the move, copy the "Dropbox" folder drive E:\ to the SD Card that was labeled X:\

In Disk Management delete the E:\ partition, and change the Drive Letter of the SD Card from X:\ to E:\ and reboot.

At this time Dropbox will be linked to the "Dropbox" folder on the SD Card E:\

If Dropbox is ever Unlinked the process will need to be redone.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Morpheus New member | Level 2
    apmessner New member | Level 2
    Cyron Explorer | Level 4
    intuitivefox New member | Level 2
    Dave C.5 Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?